Diver drowns on Dive Boat Karen, Brooklyn, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for giving us the first hand account of the accident.

I can't stand it when people speculate on incomplete and inaccurate information.

Thank you so very much Kybrt/Al for explain all this. I'm sure it was difficult to write about, but then I understand your personal need to do so. I think you and I exchanged some emails when you were trying to get registered for SB.

As I said a few posts back, the primary reason for this forum is so we can learn from the losses of others - not try to convict anyone of any wrong, especially based on partial hearsay evidence we may have to discuss. It may seem like we are at times - when we offer speculations about what may have gone wrong, what some individual may or may not have done, but that is not the intent here. It is purely for discussion so we can learn, human mistakes notwithstanding. Sometimes some of us may err or get carried away.

I spoke about this incident with my home buddy over dinner this evening, as I always feel especially responsible for his safety when we dive - explaining what I said above that we are adding to our surfacing routine on our next practice in a week or two. That is, I have always surfaced with my right hand up to wave and left hand on my BC hose - which I had been using to dump expanding air on ascent, then used immediately to fill the BC for flotation, or to dump again if I happen to see a jet ski or boat approaching.

I asked him what he's prepared to do if his BC fails to float him, and he gave me a puzzled look. I have had it happen, when my hose came loose, a nut came loose, and there are other possibilities - sand in the inflator button, etc. When it has happened to me, I orally inflated, but - panic did not control me then. It could another time. I explained (I get pretty pushy with him, we have it worked out) as soon as we have waved - ok or otherwise, then we will reach to grab a weight pocket. Should we ever need to dump weights, I want us to be in the habit of having our hand right hands already on the first one, as so many accidents and losses happen on the surface.

We are going to discuss this some more and run drills.

But back to your post, Kybrt. Thanks for explaining all you did about the boat. Sounds well equipped, and sounds like you all responded well. When a diver is around 450 ft away screaming, then only afloat for a short time, not much you could do, but you gave it a good try. Sorry to hear another diver was injured, but glad he recovered.

Actually your boat is better equipped than most I have been on, including my favorite North Carolina wreck diving boat, as you do have the kayak, albeit too small for you personally. Again, my condolences and commendations, to you too.

I'm sure you studied Critical Incident Stress when you took your Rescue course. It might be good to review the possible effects with others, and prepare to take possible action for your own benefit. PM or Email me if you would like to discuss this with me. No expert, but we can talk.

i live acoss the planet, and don't know him personally. but still,

... condolences to the friends and family for their loss.

bruce119:
The point I wanted to make is pull your weights every dive hand them up before you climb the ladder.

Not an option in rough weather.

kudos for your efforts, my saddest regrets again to the family, the brother and the Captain and crew of the Karen. It is great that you were able to post this.....150 yards in a 3-5 foot chop is respectable, over the top and heroic. The actions of all on board are to be commended and the additional search efforts a week later are also to be commended.

May he rest in peace and may his family be comforted with the knowledge that he died doing what he loved and spending the day with his brother. I know I would like nothing more.

Has anyone set up a fund to assist the mans children in school?

Again, my condolances to the family, captain and crew of the dive boat, and the fellow divers that were with him that day.

I am glad that the body was recovered, and closure can be had.

TSherman:
Has anyone set up a fund to assist the mans children in school?
Since we attempt to discuss the accidents objectively as learning discussions, and not get into personal discussions nor use names which could cause discussions to pop up on Google searches, that would be difficult to include here.

I happen to be privy to that information, tho, and will PM.

Might I ask one question.... this is in no way meant to be rude.

I don't know anything about the area where this tragedy occurred, nor where the diver's body was recovered. Is there a signifacant distance between the two? I'm wondering because there were so many subsequent attempts to recover the diver, and none were successful, though very heroing attempts.

erparamedic:
Might I ask one question.... this is in no way meant to be rude.

I don't know anything about the area where this tragedy occurred, nor where the diver's body was recovered. Is there a signifacant distance between the two? I'm wondering because there were so many subsequent attempts to recover the diver, and none were successful, though very heroing attempts.

Recovering objects in areas of active water can be difficult. Tidal fluctuations, oceans currents, bottom topography, depth etc. can make recovery extremely difficult. Sometimes recoveries can take months. Sometimes you never find what you are looking for. Consider the Gulf Stream.

This link will show the 20 miles of driving distance from Brooklyn to Long Beach marked with a red line and give an idea of the look of the area. Exactly where the boat was anchored and where the deceased was found are not known to me, but it gives a reference.

With the outflow of the river, the tidal currents enhanced by in & out flow of the harbor, and the Gulf Stream sweeping by - finding a negatively buoyant body off shore sounds impossible. When a swimmer drowns and sinks, the body often floats after a few days, but when an diver who may have excessive lead weights still attached sinks - this becomes a little less likely. I had my doubts that it would, but fortunately it did, and there were no bad storms in the area to move it further away from shore.

I've encouraged my daughter to not request an extensive search for my body if I'm ever lost at sea, for if I drown - I'm not in it anymore, and DAN will pay for the lost equipment (that's what I tell her, trying to minimize the idea), and besides - it'll make a more interesting story to tell the grandkids and at family reunions. Recovery can aid in closure and mourning, tho, and I am happy for the family that they found this diver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom