Diver drowns on Dive Boat Karen, Brooklyn, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Tiburon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A member of the NYCDIVERS posted on their meetup board that a diver on the dive boat Karen, out of Gerritson Beach, Brooklyn, NY drowned today. Sounds like the vis was bad on a wreck dive, he got separated from his buddy(who is his brother), his brother surfaced and returned to the boat. They spotted his bubbles, followed the bubbles realizing that he must be running low on air. When he finally surfaced about 150 feet from the boat, he was in a panic, removing his mask and flailing his arms. They yelled at him to drop his weights and inflate his bc but sadly he went down not to be seen again. Crew and other divers on boat donned masks and fins and jumped in to help him but were too late. May he rest in peace.

Wow, that sucks.

Coqui Diver:
sadly he went down not to be seen again

Has the diver's body been recovered? This is such a sad story.

Coqui Diver:
A member of the NYCDIVERS posted on their meetup board that a diver on the dive boat Karen, out of Gerritson Beach, Brooklyn, NY drowned today. Sounds like the vis was bad on a wreck dive, he got separated from his buddy(who is his brother), his brother surfaced and returned to the boat. They spotted his bubbles, followed the bubbles realizing that he must be running low on air. When he finally surfaced about 150 feet from the boat, he was in a panic, removing his mask and flailing his arms. They yelled at him to drop his weights and inflate his bc but sadly he went down not to be seen again. Crew and other divers on boat donned masks and fins and jumped in to help him but were too late. May he rest in peace.

That sucks, and last year same Capt lost somone on another shallow wreck. I heard that affected him greatly, wonder how this is gonna work on him.
I never met him but understand he is good Capt, and nice guy.
This ..... is not his fault but I understand he takes it personnally.

As far as I know the NYPD Divers conducted a search and the body hadn't been recovered as of Sunday afternoon. Capt. Hayes is an excellent captain, the times of been on his boat his main concern has been safety first. I hope this doesn't effect him adversely. This occured on the wreck of the USS Turner which is at about 60 feet. Coqui Diver

This is awful. I'm sorry to hear this happened. My prayers go out for the family of the diver. Please keep us posted with any details so that we may learn from this tragedy.

Very sad...his brother must be destroyed over this!!! My prayers also go out to the family and all those involved!!!

Very sad indeed. RIP.

Very sad. We came upon the scene in the latter stages of the search and recovery.

My condolences to the family and divers. X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom