Diver dies as lobster mini-season begins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermatt:
AOWDAN, what is this "mini season?" Can you FL divers only hunt lobsters for a week or somthing along those lines?

It's the last Wednesday & Thursday of July. It is restricted to recreational lobster people before the main season That is open to commercial collection opens/

Glad she appears ok, but

HOWEVER, I told her many many times, her reg should NOT be on her computer side (both being on her right)

a person she knows, who isn't that experienced with diving, and certainly isn't a technician or anything, put it on that side for her...

after she made the emergency ascent and all was fine, we took it to the shop and had it properly switched...
I'm not following the logic of having both on one side or the other, can you explain more in-depth?

What side was the octo on?

Florida's yearly thinning of the herd, both lobsters and divers. As others have said, it is insane, with many divers throwing on gear in the manic pursuit of a few tails, often not having been in the water since the previous year's mini-season.

All the charters are overbooked and full of "hunters". It is best to stay far away and let the chaos pass.

Why would someone do a emergency ascend? Not long ago I got too close to someone in a cavern, they kicked my mask off and my regulator out. No problem retrieve regulator (or Octopus), find mask, purge mask, continue dive, steal other divers fin.

Sadly, that didn't take very long.

DandyDon:
It's a Darwin test they run in Florida. They kill a few divers, it makes the news, but it happens every year.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but dang - what does it take to get their attention. None of these deaths should happen.

Don Is absolutly right, none of these deaths should happen. Mini season will not be going away any time soon. That is the reason behind Dive A.L.I.V.E..
http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=184859

Trtldvr
www.divealive.org

427Dave:
No problem retrieve regulator (or Octopus), find mask, purge mask, continue dive, steal other divers fin.

Really? I like to cut hoses more than steal fins. It makes me feel like I'm in some '60s era spy movie. What can I say? I like to kick it old school.

JackSpearo:
she tried to find it, but couldn't...so she panicked a little, and didn't think of her SS1...

Glad your friend is ok.. This seems to be a case of lack of Experience.. Its good practice to breath from all you regs/octos when your diving so that its second nature to grab for another one if something happends like that..

I read the article wich just indicated that he appeared to be struggling on the surface and he was pronounced dead after they attempted CPR. It did not indicate (or did I miss it) that there was any diving accident related or what the cause of death was, does anybody know? The poor guy could have had a heart attack which may have resulted in his death if he was mowing his lawn during mini season...

trtldvr:
Don Is absolutly right, none of these deaths should happen. Mini season will not be going away any time soon. That is the reason behind Dive A.L.I.V.E..
http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=184859

Trtldvr
www.divealive.org
Thanks, I was thinking of that organization, but could not remember the name. Y'all do great work.

Yeah, this loss sounds more medical than diving, but so often it is their first dive in too long, and they're really not fit for the strenuous challenges of lobster hunting. I have not done it, but I imagine it's like cock-fever here in pheasant country, in which they become too focused on getting game, etc.

Back
Top Bottom