Diver dies as lobster mini-season begins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt_NJ:
I read the article wich just indicated that he appeared to be struggling on the surface and he was pronounced dead after they attempted CPR. It did not indicate (or did I miss it) that there was any diving accident related or what the cause of death was, does anybody know? The poor guy could have had a heart attack which may have resulted in his death if he was mowing his lawn during mini season...

Agreed - the article stated that he was in 10' of water.

daniel f aleman:
Agreed - the article stated that he was in 10' of water.

Yes, this seems to me a medical issue rather than a dive issue but, divers need to be aware of the physical demands they are putting on their bodies. People who are out of shape would not consider running a 5k race, but seem to give no thought to jumping in the ocean and chasing crustaceans.

trtldvr

www.divealive.org

Wayward Son:
It's a special 2 day season every july. During those 2 days you can take a double limit of bugs, 12 per day. Then you have to wait until the season opens on the 4th.

in monroe county, you can only get 6 PER DAY, just ask bobbie dubee

dano
p.s. trtldvr...see you in divemaster!!
i hope i didn't doom myself!?!?!?

With regard to the original topic, does anybody know if the guy's death was directly related to diving (DCS, gear malfunction, panic, drown, etc.) or whether it was considered natural causes while diving (like a heart attack)?

The news report says he was only in 10 feet of water...

Just saw a news video on the 48 hour insanity there. There were 5 scuba deaths last year in the mini season, 20,000 fishermen and divers expected, some retails do 20% of the annual income in the two days.

Diver dies as lobster mini-season begins
BY YAMICHE ALCINDOR
yalcindor@MiamiHerald.com
A Florida man died Wednesday morning while scuba diving with his family off Cudjoe Key just hours into the two-day lobster mini-season.

James Gilkinson, 58, of Venice, was scuba diving in about 10 feet of water about 7 a.m. when he signaled to his son he was going to the surface, said Monroe County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Jim Wirth. His wife, who was on board their boat, told authorities Gilkinson appeared to be struggling when he surfaced.

After helping her husband onto the boat, she yelled for help.

Firefighter paramedics and a Florida Fish and Wildlife officer heard her cries and arrived at the scene, where they performed CPR. Gilkinson was taken to a boat ramp and then transported by ambulance to Lower Keys Hospital. He was pronounced dead on arrival.

Becky Herrin, spokeswoman for MSO, said an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of Gilkinson's death.

Last year, four people died in three Keys' diving accidents during the popular mini-season

The poor lady who died at Molasses reef was at the surface and Its considered a diving death.

Wayward Son:
It's a special 2 day season every july. During those 2 days you can take a double limit of bugs, 12 per day. Then you have to wait until the season opens on the 4th.

Did they change opening day from the 6th to the 4th of August?

Maybe if they limit it to 4, not as many vacation divers would die.

Except the merchants would lose money - and we can't have that.
bananawhip.gif

Back
Top Bottom