Diver dies as lobster mini-season begins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what does it mean to have your reg knocked out? Did it get damaged, or couldn't she find it?

Why would your friend need to do an emergency ascent just for a reg being knocked out. Couldn't she have just done a reg. recovery maneuver or reached for her alt. air?????? Panic kills!!!!

sorry, she said when I was tickling a lobster out, she got too close to my fin and it knocked the reg out of her mouth...

she tried to find it, but couldn't...so she panicked a little, and didn't think of her SS1...

HOWEVER, I told her many many times, her reg should NOT be on her computer side (both being on her right)

a person she knows, who isn't that experienced with diving, and certainly isn't a technician or anything, put it on that side for her...

after she made the emergency ascent and all was fine, we took it to the shop and had it properly switched...

she is still a little scared though, but DAN said that she should be okay if she hasn't experienced anything within 4 hours...

aowdan:
yes, very sad. glad your friend was ok. i don't even leave the house except to go to work for these two days. to many crazies out there.

dano

Ditto but I went out yesterday to Molasses and was surprised that there was at least 100 feet viz and the reef was empty. The only problem was some idiot fishing in the protected area which I promptly contacted FWC

AOWDAN, what is this "mini season?" Can you FL divers only hunt lobsters for a week or somthing along those lines?

It's a special 2 day season every july. During those 2 days you can take a double limit of bugs, 12 per day. Then you have to wait until the season opens on the 4th.

JackSpearo:
sorry, she said when I was tickling a lobster out, she got too close to my fin and it knocked the reg out of her mouth...

she tried to find it, but couldn't...so she panicked a little, and didn't think of her SS1...

Getting your reg knocked out is no big deal, finding your reg is one of the first skills learned/mastered. Even if the main reg is out of operation she should still go for her secondary or dive buddies secondary before making an emergency assent

JackSpearo:
HOWEVER, I told her many many times, her reg should NOT be on her computer side (both being on her right)

a person she knows, who isn't that experienced with diving, and certainly isn't a technician or anything, put it on that side for her...

:shakehead

I suggest she registers for a little training or sticks to diving with a DM for a while.

divermatt:
AOWDAN, what is this "mini season?" Can you FL divers only hunt lobsters for a week or somthing along those lines?
It's a Darwin test they run in Florida. They kill a few divers, it makes the news, but it happens every year.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but dang - what does it take to get their attention. None of these deaths should happen.

Back
Top Bottom