Diver dies as lobster mini-season begins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iv been on a dive with a DM and his reg came out for whatever reason and he shoot to the surface like a polaris missile . i was left with 8 new divers looking at me to decide what to do . in only 15 meters of water what was he thinking .

but guys it can happen to any1 at any time

dont be to harsh on the poor girl .
she'll get better with experience

DandyDon:
Maybe if they limit it to 4, not as many vacation divers would die.

No, that would just mean more trips back and forth to their private docks to avoid the FWC and daily limits. The best arrest we heard about was the guy dragging a catch bag loaded with 30 lobsters underneath his boat so when FWC checked him, he only had 6 on the boat. The cop noticed the string and pulled it up.

The people getting hurt or worse are the once a year divers. I saw a guy at the LDS bring his regulator in with an IP pressure of over 225, free flowing on the tank. When told they couldn't fix it over nite for mini-season, he said no problem, he would use it anyways as it was still blowing air and he would just shorten his bottom time. Just nuts!

aowdan:
nope. still the 6th and i wish we could get 12 instead of 6!

dano

And that is the attitude that creates such insanity down here. If you live and work in Key West, why the heck do you need 12 lobster a day to put in your freezer? They're much better fresh and you can go get them whenever.

Mini season is the definition of greed.

The death of the man in 10 feet of water does not appear to be a *diving* accident. He was only in 10 feet of water, surfaced, and was on board. The fact he was too far from immediate medical attention could contribute to the death, but that can happen when hiking in the Mountains as well.

Any diver who must do an emergency ascent because they loose a regulator needs to work on diving skills. You have a backup, practice using it!

Mini-season is a tradition, a huge boon to the economy (not so much the lobster economy), and will not be going away anytime soon. I made the decision two years ago to leave the Keys during Mini-season even if the idea of lobsters was tempting.

stevewirl:
Iv been on a dive with a DM and his reg came out for whatever reason and he shoot to the surface like a polaris missile . i was left with 8 new divers looking at me to decide what to do . in only 15 meters of water what was he thinking .

but guys it can happen to any1 at any time

dont be to harsh on the poor girl .
she'll get better with experience

Thankfully, that can't really happen to anyone at any time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom