Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

es601:
How many people have the oppurtunity to ck their weght with a new suit or equipment in saltwater at all times of the year before going away on a dive vacation? I know I don't.

Better make the time. If not before you go, then the first thing when you get there before starting your diving. If you initially check it in fresh water then you know it's going to leave you a shade on the light side. Being too light or too heavy can be dangerous. Just don't do it. You'd be better off not diving if you don't have time to see to the important stuff.

es601:
As long as we are on the subject can anyone tell me why weight belts aren't being outlawed or why there isn't more of a campaign to make them a thing of the past? I realize that a weight integrated bc (or any bc) is a large investment but it seems to me that a lot of problems could be avoided by pushing weight integrated bc's. I mean this is not exactly a inexpensive sport that we are talking about and safety should take priority over thrift.
With a weighte integrated BCD, the moment you take it off, you become very bouyant. Consider what would happen if you removed your BCD to readjust your tank strap, etc. Or consider, caves or penetration dives where you must push your rig ahead of you.

Personally, I still do the 2lbs. each side of my BC (integrated) and 4 lbs. in the small of my back on a weight belt and I am 6', 185 lbs. and this would be with a 3/2 on: 8 lbs. total, and I go down pretty quick even with that. This is also what I rec. to my students and new divers (1/2 in and 1/2 belt). People are using too much weight, period, and IMHO, more time should be spent teaching poeple how to gear up (and down), and getting them properly weighted. I've seen people my size asking for 16 lbs. (or more). That's way too much weight. J

gratefuljames:
Personally, I still do the 2lbs. each side of my BC (integrated) and 4 lbs. in the small of my back on a weight belt and I am 6', 185 lbs. and this would be with a 3/2 on: 8 lbs. total, and I go down pretty quick even with that. This is also what I rec. to my students and new divers (1/2 in and 1/2 belt). People are using too much weight, period, and IMHO, more time should be spent teaching poeple how to gear up (and down), and getting them properly weighted. I've seen people my size asking for 16 lbs. (or more). That's way too much weight. J
May I suggest that statements like this have a lot of meaning when they include suit, tank, and water info - little without.

If that's no neoprene, steel 80cf and freshwater - that's a lot of lead. If that's 3 mil neoprene, aluminum 80 cf and salt water, that's impressive. There are many other combination possible, and I hope you not bothered by my confusion and lack of understanding here.

But to the question in general - do many divers overweight? Yes, and will continue to do so in many cases, regardless of the shoulds, therefore in an imperfect diving world - I suggest we focus on reminding divers, especially the occasional vacation divers with rented gear, anxious feelings and DMs who want them to get down without hassles - remove the weight belt first, then the BC, and prevent the accidents.

DandyDon:
Hmmm, my Oceanic Probe BC takes up to 30# - beyond that, I would need to use a weight belt to add any. It's been so long since I did a few dry suit dives, I don't remember, but I don't think I came close to that. I did come close in my 7mil in saltwater, but not quite.

But then, the Probe is a lot of BC.

Yeah it is. I've got one also but I sure don't like picking it up with that much in it:11: :D . And do you find that solid 5 in the trim pockets are hard to get out? That's why I started to divide between bc & belt when diving dry. Alot easier to lift and if I need to dump the belt goes and I can still control my ascent for the most part.:wink:

JimLap:
Yeah it is. I've got one also but I sure don't like picking it up with that much in it:11: :D . And do you find that solid 5 in the trim pockets are hard to get out? That's why I started to divide between bc & belt when diving dry. Alot easier to lift and if I need to dump the belt goes and I can still control my ascent for the most part.:wink:
Well, yeah - I'd agree there. So seldom I put 5# in back pockets, had to stop and think. It is possible, tho - and you can remove the 2 front weight pockets before lifting the BC if need, with only the back weights in.

As far as an emergency ascent, you can drop one front pocket at a time. If you're carring 10# back, 10# each on front left and right, you can drop 10 or 20 of the 30.

gratefuljames:
I've seen people my size asking for 16 lbs. (or more). That's way too much weight. J

Depends what you're wearing. In a skin I often carry no weight, in a 3mm full suit maybe 8lb, and in a drysuit 20lb or more.

That said, most people do overweight, and they're encouraged to do so by "quickie" courses which don't have the time to work on correct weighting. Demonstrating correct weighting alone can take two or three dives, and people just don't want to spend the time.

es601:
I know I'm streching it here but wouldn't it be better to make everything as idiot proof as possible.
The only way to idiot proof anything is to eliminate the idiots. You cannot "fix" these problems by eliminating gear choices.

es601:
Yes you must THINK but even the most careful of us if we dive enough are going to make a error,hopefully not a dangerous one. How many people have forgotten to inflate our bc's before taking the giant stride ? Properly weighted no problem. How many people have the oppurtunity to ck their weght with a new suit or equipment in saltwater at all times of the year before going away on a dive vacation? I know I don't.
The solution to those problems is to make an effort to get out and practice your fundamental skills once in a while ... put yourself in a controlled situation where you can learn how to respond to "emergency" situations. What kills people isn't forgetting to do something ... and it rarely boils down to gear issues ... it's a lack of ability to deal with the problem in a calm manner.

If I could eliminate anything in this business, it would be week-end wonder training classes that turn out inadequately trained divers ... then there wouldn't be any need to "idiot-proof" the gear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I could eliminate anything in this business, it would be week-end wonder training classes that turn out inadequately trained divers ... then there wouldn't be any need to "idiot-proof" the gear.
A noble idea, but bad for business, therefore will not happen...

DandyDon:
May I suggest that statements like this have a lot of meaning when they include suit, tank, and water info - little without.

If that's no neoprene, steel 80cf and freshwater - that's a lot of lead. If that's 3 mil neoprene, aluminum 80 cf and salt water, that's impressive. There are many other combination possible, and I hope you not bothered by my confusion and lack of understanding here.

But to the question in general - do many divers overweight? Yes, and will continue to do so in many cases, regardless of the shoulds, therefore in an imperfect diving world - I suggest we focus on reminding divers, especially the occasional vacation divers with rented gear, anxious feelings and DMs who want them to get down without hassles - remove the weight belt first, then the BC, and prevent the accidents.

Agreed. I don't think the issue is the training though it is the new divers. I, unlike many I have seen, didn't underestimate the importance proper weighting. I have only have 35 dives, am 5'9", 180lbs, wear a 4/3 full suit, use an al80 and only carry 6lbs of lead. I have done my bouyancy checks and float just barely below eye level and sink when I exhale with only 400 psi in my tank. I could probably go to 5lbs but would rather be 1 or 2 pounds over than 1 lb under.

Here is the twist, one of my normal dive buddies who weighs within 2 pounds of me, is the same height and carries less bodyfat than I do carries 18lbs. It is not because he needs even half that, it is because he refuses to believe that the weight is that much of an issue and won't take the time to do a buoyancy check. We try and tell him different but to no avail.

He just doesn't believe that carrying less weight will let him swim more relaxed and help lower his overall air consumption.

Back
Top Bottom