Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We flirted with this disaster while diving in Cabo Pulmo in the Sea of Cortez back in August. Diving was off of an aluminum skiff - maybe 18 feet. It was the first time we had to use the back-flip entrance so we were ready for other new procedures too. At the end of the dive the DM (nice guy and very concientous) got back into the skiff then told me to remove my (weight integrated) BC and hand it to him. He then gave me a pull up as I popped up and over into the boat. My wife then approached the skiff and he told her to take off her BC - which she started to do - untill we all realized she had a weight belt and not an integrated system.

I bet this happens a lot, and I wonder how many people remember to metally check their releases before every dive. Going under and down "for no reason" and without a tank, reg, or BC would immediately panic many divers.

Jim

I don't know; you'd have to be severely over-weighted to "go right to the bottom" even if you forgot to take off your weight belt and slipped off the ladder...call me crazy...

I think this is where we see an importance in 3 things: 1, keeping a level head. 2, being comfortable with your equipment and its setup. And 3, being a strong swimmer.

Obviously being a strong swimmer isn't a requirement to get scuba certified but I think it would pay dividends in a situation such as this. Strong swimmer = comfortable in the water. A strong swimmer could probably keep his/her head out of water long enough to get a good deep breath and ditch the weight belt if they weren't strong enough to swim with it on.

On my other two points, keeping a level head will keep you from panicking (see other thread) and allow you to think through the problem rather than lose your focus. BEing comfortable with your gear will allow you to know what order you must remove your gear in the water. Personally, I have a weight integrated BC and don't have to worry about a weight belt but I have skin dived with a weightbelt before and know what that is like. Knowing how your gear is set up and being able to ditch it in a moments notice is something that should be routinely practiced.

Post edited due to duplicate posts caused by a technical difficulty

Daylonious:
Come to think of it, if you had removed your fins and your BC prior to getting into said small boat -

If you had lost grip of the ladder and "forgot" to remove your weight belt, you'd be pretty SOL. Right to the bottom.

D.

When I've dove from Zodiacs in the Great Lakes, after removing your weight belt and then BC (and handing them up), you usually keep your fins on and kick like crazy and lift yourself onto the Zodiac. The kicking gets you pretty high up and then it's pretty easy to get over. Unless the captain just picks you up and puts you onto the boat, like they often do to me.

I have forgotten to take off my weight belt first a couple of times in different scenarios. Sometimes I realized as I was undoing my BC, and then did my weight belt first. I guess the only thing that saved me was that my 8 lb weight belt didn't sink me with my 7 mm 2 piece suit, etc. on (I have 4 lbs also in the BC). For me, I guess not seeing the weight belt under the BC keeps it out of sight/out of mind. I try to be more conscious of it.

As long as we are on the subject can anyone tell me why weight belts aren't being outlawed or why there isn't more of a campaign to make them a thing of the past? I realize that a weight integrated bc (or any bc) is a large investment but it seems to me that a lot of problems could be avoided by pushing weight integrated bc's. I mean this is not exactly a inexpensive sport that we are talking about and safety should take priority over thrift.

I think more problems could be averted by having a properly trained diver who thinks, myself.

As someone who will not lift someone elses weight integrated BC around due to the significant weight associated with the entire set-up, I think they should outlaw Integrated BC's :)

HBD Ayisha

When I've dove from Zodiacs in the Great Lakes, after removing your weight belt and then BC (and handing them up), you usually keep your fins on and kick like crazy and lift yourself onto the Zodiac. The kicking gets you pretty high up and then it's pretty easy to get over.
Interesting. In and around the Carrib, it's common to have to climb a ladder into a 6-pack. I try to keep my fins on my wrists at least, but they have to come off the feet on most ladders. I once forgot and climbed out wearing my BC!! The boat was rocking, and I nearly fell off the other side.

The biggest risk comes with Vacation divers, rented gear, belts with excessive weight so they'll sink okay, being instructed by a boat mate with little English. After all, we're in his country.

Scuba_Steve:
I think more problems could be averted by having a properly trained diver who thinks, myself.

As someone who will not lift someone elses weight integrated BC around due to the significant weight associated with the entire set-up, I think they should outlaw Integrated BC's :)

HBD Ayisha
Do you ever dive with Vacation divers in and around the Caribbean? You an outlaw weight belts or integrated BCs all you want to, but it won't matter there anyway.

es601:
As long as we are on the subject can anyone tell me why weight belts aren't being outlawed or why there isn't more of a campaign to make them a thing of the past? I realize that a weight integrated bc (or any bc) is a large investment but it seems to me that a lot of problems could be avoided by pushing weight integrated bc's. I mean this is not exactly a inexpensive sport that we are talking about and safety should take priority over thrift.

It's not the weight belt but the amount of weight.. there are Lots of overweighted divers out there...

The concept of a balanced rig just hasn't caught on yet. If you have just the right amount of weight you should be able to swim up even with a total failure of your BC or lack there of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom