Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eagle-scuba:
was this the accident at CSSP on the weekend of 19th of Nov.....
No - click the link in the first post here and you'll see an Arabian news source.

The last accident covered in thei forum for CSSP - at least by that name - was a year ago.

You could start a thread in this forum on the accident if you have the info...?

es601:
As long as we are on the subject can anyone tell me why weight belts aren't being outlawed or why there isn't more of a campaign to make them a thing of the past? I realize that a weight integrated bc (or any bc) is a large investment but it seems to me that a lot of problems could be avoided by pushing weight integrated bc's. I mean this is not exactly a inexpensive sport that we are talking about and safety should take priority over thrift.

What about those of us in drysuits or 7mm 2-peice wetsuits. Have you ever tried getting 10 - 14kg's(22 - 30 pounds) into your weight integrated BC? Weight intergration can help spread the weight a little but you are not going to pack it all in.

drew52:
What about those of us in drysuits or 7mm 2-peice wetsuits. Have you ever tried getting 10 - 14kg's(22 - 30 pounds) into your weight integrated BC? Weight intergration can help spread the weight a little but you are not going to pack it all in.
Hmmm, my Oceanic Probe BC takes up to 30# - beyond that, I would need to use a weight belt to add any. It's been so long since I did a few dry suit dives, I don't remember, but I don't think I came close to that. I did come close in my 7mil in saltwater, but not quite.

But then, the Probe is a lot of BC.

es601:
As long as we are on the subject can anyone tell me why weight belts aren't being outlawed or why there isn't more of a campaign to make them a thing of the past? I realize that a weight integrated bc (or any bc) is a large investment but it seems to me that a lot of problems could be avoided by pushing weight integrated bc's. I mean this is not exactly a inexpensive sport that we are talking about and safety should take priority over thrift.

DandyDon:
Hmmm, my Oceanic Probe BC takes up to 30# - beyond that, I would need to use a weight belt to add any. It's been so long since I did a few dry suit dives, I don't remember, but I don't think I came close to that. I did come close in my 7mil in saltwater, but not quite.

But then, the Probe is a lot of BC.

Fair enough, I guess you could full your weight intergration to the max.

I have had a couple of students that needed a little more than that and a friend of mine actually uses 18kg's in his drysuit (he's 6 foot 6). My BC can fit about 10kgs comfortably and 12 at a push but then it really messes with my trim.

Worst case...if you're using a tank that's pos buoyant when empty is that you might be a couple of pounds negative. No big deal to swim with that assuming you're uninjured and healthy enough to swim. More than anything the weight is to compensate for the buoyancy of the exposure protection which you still have on or your big belly which you still have on. Ever do any free diving with your wet suit on? Where was your weight belt?

Say, don't they teach this stuff in OW class? I know...wishful thinking.

Glad to see a few people are on the right track here. The only thing you're strapping on lead for is the buoyancy of you and what you're wearing. Most any scuba kit will be negative on it's own. So if you are NOT overweighted to begin with, you should be well able to swim with your weightbelt on.

Dennis

BuoyantC:
Glad to see a few people are on the right track here. The only thing you're strapping on lead for is the buoyancy of you and what you're wearing. Most any scuba kit will be negative on it's own. So if you are NOT overweighted to begin with, you should be well able to swim with your weightbelt on.

Dennis

And what's really scary is all the divers here who expect to sink without their bc. Are so many that over weighted and inline for just the same sort of accident?

I agree with all of you except the guy who thinks integrated bc's should be outlawed. Yes we are all taught the proper way to weight ourselves but accidents do happen. Miscalculations,well intentioned divemasters, multiple problems also seem pretty common. Mask gets knocked off while plumeting to bottom,reg pops out of mouth etc. I know I'm streching it here but wouldn't it be better to make everything as idiot proof as possible. Yes you must THINK but even the most careful of us if we dive enough are going to make a error,hopefully not a dangerous one. How many people have forgotten to inflate our bc's before taking the giant stride ? Properly weighted no problem. How many people have the oppurtunity to ck their weght with a new suit or equipment in saltwater at all times of the year before going away on a dive vacation? I know I don't.

es601:
I agree with all of you except the guy who thinks integrated bc's should be outlawed.

LOL Tongue in cheek man! A purposefully silly repsonse to an equally silly answer on how to "fix" this problem.

To spell it out a little more plain for ya, I agree with Mike F which is why in the same post I said I'd prefer to have somebody thinking doing the diving. This shouldn't be an issue, plain and simple. Just another dumb accident that we have nothing to learn from.

Back
Top Bottom