Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel a need to re-clarify my clarification on this whole secured belt issue. Please bear with me on this….

String:
OK fair comment, i misunderstood what you said. I do however think that once qualified and experienced eventually the time comes for a diver to make up their own mind what they feel is the best/safest option for their diving. For dives involving a lot of depth and mandatory decompression my own view is its safer to have weight very securely attached than not. Obviously this isnt an issue for new divers or students who wont be in that situation.

Acknowledged and agreed. And I might mention that the entire thread started with…. A story about the death of an “inexperienced” diver, who couldn’t or for whatever reason didn’t dump his weights. This happens more than on just this occasion, and is the basis of my whole philosophy of this issue.

I do agree that experienced divers who are at a level where they are not likely to panic, are weighted properly, and are doing deep and/or deco diving where quick ascent is just as likely to kill as out of air problems, should CONSIDER a more permanent way to attach weights. I myself have a 6 lb back plate, twin HP 130’s (very heavy) and am going to install a more permanent lead weight into my tank band set up as to avoid accidental dumps. (I’d have to shed my whole kit). That is for me, and is NOT standard for recreational diving, and I would not try to teach that to others.

That said however, my debate started with a misunderstanding about my “harness” which does have dump-able pockets.

This is the post that made me concerned that I may have been misunderstood, and it in no way implies anything about the person posting it:

es601:
In my short time as a ow diver (6 months) I have already witnessed 1 found weight belt personally and a friend of mine found another at a different location (much deeper)but no pouches yet. In my pool classes I had problems with the weight belts sliding down or falling off altogether. This I'm sure was due to my waist being larger than my hips. I was at the lds to buy a harness/suspender for the weight belt and walked out with a integrated bc instead.I could definetily imagine that with exposure suits compressing at depth and not all divers being anatomicaly optimum, weight belts could be a droppin.

I am not sure of es601’s interpretation but thought he MIGHT have misunderstood my meaning of harness/suspenders and even if he didn’t someone else may have mistaken this post as indicating that regular “suspenders” on a weight belt are ok. In fact the more posts you read, the more that it sound like that would be ok. It is NOT.

However, since the debate has come up………

MikeFerrara:
Actually the agencies do teach tricks like using two buckles to keep weight secure especially in courses like ice diving. Aside from that they don't teach much at all about weight systems or how they really should be used.

Mike: I see your position on the issues, but have to disagree with your practices as they apply to NEWER divers, (and maybe IMO even more experienced ones). Take the debate with a grain of salt please. :05:

First of all, a two buckle system consists of two (large) quick release buckles. They are easy for a diver to deploy quickly with one hand, and do add some safety as far as accidental release goes. A good option. A crotch strap is NOT the same as a quick release buckle and cannot be compared. In an emergency I would not bet on the odds of being able to remove one (crotch strap) quickly while under such pressures.

As far as agencies teaching, I am only familiar with PADI, but assume they are all similar. Here’s my take……

PADI Basic Open Water Manual (2005) Chapter 2, page 92. (referring to weights) …..”….has quick release that allows you to release your weight with one hand in an emergency. The quick release is the MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE ON ANY WEIGHT SYSTEM.” (OK, I threw in the capitals to emphasize the quote).:05:

Page 94. “Remember that you will need to wear your weight system so it’s clear of all other equipment and you can release it quickly with one hand in an emergency”. (Yes I threw in the underline too).:D

Again, …..not arguing what experienced divers do for their own gear, everyone does what he wants anyway…..but NEWER divers come to this forum for advice. It routinely expresses OPINIONS which contradict teaching of professional organizations, which are set in place with safety in mind.

MikeFerrara:
Explain why he should be having trouble keeping his head above the surface with his weights on? Beyond that, no diver should dive in equipment that they don't know how to use. Being horizontal makes getting that weight belt off a snap, even if it's under a crotch strap.

A diver at the surface shouldn't hesitate to drop their weights if they feel the need but only if they are overweighted should they have trouble staying at the surface with their weights on. Even so, I wear my weight belt under my crotch strap but I do NOT need to undo the crotch strap in order to get my belt off.

Surface example: Tired diver…starts to have trouble keeping head above water in waves, gulps water, starts to panic, out of breath, out of air, can’t inflate BC. (Or has air but can’t get to inflator which happens frequently, and has also happened to me and probably most people at least once).

Another: Panicked diver tries to climb onto would be rescuer (assuming he gets too close), rescuer should get under and quickly drop victims belt to get him to surface, and keep rescuer safely below. Easy with quick release buckle…difficult with crotch strap.

Another forum (Yorshire Diver’s?) has a post in which a Medical Examiner talks about the death of a diver who had surface problems, and drowned because he couldn’t release his weights. He suggests this happens far too often.

MikeFerrara:
Being horizontal makes getting that weight belt off a snap, even if it's under a crotch strap.

Trying to do everything vertical is one of the first things that make things hard for divers and removing weights is no exception. I always taught divers to go face down and undo the buckle.

A secure weight system is better for every one, IMO. again, what's the cause of this runaway descent in the first place?

Could be any cause for runaway decent. Broken BC, or (probably) the most likely would be…..diver stepping off boat with out turning on air? I just read an incident the other day where a diver did that (older story) and was found at extreme depth (250 feet) I believe it was one of the Doria deaths, or related to it anyway. The (experienced) diver stepped off boat and never did get air on, ditch weights, or inflate BC. That was a well trained technical diver who just F _ _ _ ‘ed up. It happens. Even more so to NEW divers.

Imagine a newer (or any) diver who discovers they are out of air at 100 ft, discovers they are a little over weighted, BC can’t be inflated (they won’t use their last breath to inflate BC), and they will (as would most) panic. They are definitely going to be vertically kicking and looking to surface. My guess is they would drop belt, and then realize it is “stuck” on crotch strap behind them. Now, cold hand/gloves…etc. and they need to try to undo a crotch strap clip? There is a reason those weights have a large “quick” release buckles. Once at the surface they will be gasping, probably very tired from towing up weights, and then have to try to orally inflate? Not as easy as it sound. Remove crotch strap while trying not to drown, and can’t catch breath?

There is a story in “Diver Down”, a book on real world scuba accidents. It talks about a diver who disappeared on a wall dive, apparently he went over top of wall when buddies weren’t noticing, BC failed (stuck dump valve) and he fell into a runaway decent. They found him at dead at 150 ft, with no air in tanks, and weights tangled on one side of BC, hanging onto wall. If he could still talk, I am sure he would preach for easily removable weights.

There are many more articles about people who have drowned in out of air situations who could not make it to surface, and those about people who have drowned while at surface who couldn’t keep heads up. I realize there are also risks for rapid ascents too.

So, it appears there are two sides and risks to dumping weights vs. not. One post I read summed it all up though: Given a choice in an emergency out of air situation (which does happen more often than it should)…between A) dumping your weights, and risking DCI, then being treated at hospital or B) not being able to remove weights, gulping a lung full of water, and kissing you’re A_ _ goodbye, I’d rather take my chances surviving in the chamber (where I just happened to be yesterday for one of those fluke “hits” you can get even if doing everything right :05: ) than I would prefer trying to survive drowning.

And yes there will be arguments about panic being the real killer, and out of air is not an option, and being over weight should not happen, but in reality these things do happen. That is why standards have been set up to minimize the risks. The diver in the beginning of this post died with a weight belt on and nothing to hold it in place. If panic can be that over powering, then imagine how it could interfere with weights that are pinned in.

Bottom line is we all do what we want, but should be careful about posting suggestions to potential NEW divers (and others) that contradict what has been taught to them (hopefully) according to standards. That is unless we are more qualified than ones who establish the standards anyway.

Just my viewpoint.

-Steve:)

dherbman:
I can't see the forrest through the trees.

You need to slow down, and spend some quality time in them (trees). Soon the forrest will just appear to you, as though it were always there. :wink:

-S

Too much to respond to line by line but it isn't hard to drop a weight belt even if it's under a crotch strap. But...some crotch straps are also on a quick release. Diving overweighted can kill you. Diving over weighted is what's happens too often. I wouldn't expect a medical examiner to realize that.

Now, if some one feels better with their weigh belt over their crotch strap then go for it.

PADI's statement about what the most important feature of a weight system is... One of the many diservices they do their students, IMO. The most important thing is to have the right amount and in the right place. That would be opening a can of worms for them though because they don't tell divers how to figure out where the right place is or why it should matter. If you don't have the right amount, in the right place, you can't control your position in the water very well and that's what diving is. Not being able to do it is dangerous. Check the DAN report to see how often buoyancy control problems and rapid ascents are reported in cases of injury. Depends on the year but sometimes it runs like 60%. Only if you overweight students so as to solidly plaster them to the bottom and fail to teach them how to get neutral and trim does the quick release become the most important feature.

OK.

I think we can at least agree to disagree. eyebrow There are risks from an over secured weight system, and there those from a system that could accidentally come free.

In either position one needs to weigh those risks and think of what is greater for their experience levels and the dives they do. There are people who have died by over securing weights and not being able to release in time (for whatever reason... as in the thread starter example), and those who have died from rapid ascents. As far as the percentage ratio, I’ll have to take your word for that one.

I don’t know about PADI’s teachings being a disservice…I have not participated in any other agencies teachings to compare with, nor have I checked accident stat’s to see how many people get hurt by following PADI, that maybe wouldn’t have if they followed another agency. Again, I’ll have to assume you’ve checked it out.

That’s my last word on it (as I’m pretty sure we’ve drove this one into the ground).:D

Cheers to ya, and happy diving!

-Steve :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom