Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To get back to the article: I feel for that mom. Sounds like the dad is a jerk. He should have allowed the autopsy. And it just figures that the man would have the last say in an Arab country, even though he was out of the kid's life for 20 years.

es601:
As long as we are on the subject can anyone tell me why weight belts aren't being outlawed or why there isn't more of a campaign to make them a thing of the past? I realize that a weight integrated bc (or any bc) is a large investment but it seems to me that a lot of problems could be avoided by pushing weight integrated bc's. I mean this is not exactly a inexpensive sport that we are talking about and safety should take priority over thrift.

Most of us, I think, would be unhappy with someone attempting to regulate how we dive or pressure us to outfit ourselves in any specific manner. Many of us prefer weight belt over integrated, or at least I do. I have any integrated bc and have removed the weight pockets. The belt allows for transfer of weight from side to side on the body to compensate for equipment arrangement (such as pony bottle mounted to one side). The weight belt is easier to ditch, and the bc is easier to manage without the extra weight (handing up from water into small boat for example). Also the weight integrated bc tends to pull diver forward on the surface causing some effort to be expended to remain upright. This is probably more noticable for lighter weight or slender divers.

dkktsunami:
Most of us, I think, would be unhappy with someone attempting to regulate how we dive or pressure us to outfit ourselves in any specific manner. Many of us prefer weight belt over integrated, or at least I do. I have any integrated bc and have removed the weight pockets. The belt allows for transfer of weight from side to side on the body to compensate for equipment arrangement (such as pony bottle mounted to one side). The weight belt is easier to ditch, and the bc is easier to manage without the extra weight (handing up from water into small boat for example). Also the weight integrated bc tends to pull diver forward on the surface causing some effort to be expended to remain upright. This is probably more noticable for lighter weight or slender divers.

Actually I think it is worse for us not so slender divers because if you look at the area where the weight is placed on integrated bc's it is in the gut area and the bigger gut tends to put the weight out front further from the center of balance causing more of that forward lean.I try to minimize this by putting enough weight in the rear un ditchable pockets of the bc. If you are using a integrated try it and it may help.

Thanks Don, my next goal is to be down to 200 by my June trip to Bonaire! Don't you just hate those skinny DM's and they can free dive like crazy! I had a friend in high school who was 1/2 Barbasian and a 117 lb olympic weght lifting champion, he could not float on his back at all in salt water even with a full lung of air. You could not pinch a inch of skin on him either.

I have two weight pockets on the back of my bottom tank strap so I can put a variable amount of weight in the back to maintain trim with my weight integrated system. If you can use steel tanks a lot of the problems from too much weight or trim with a weight integrated system are reduced. Of course its hard to get away from aluminum when you fly somewhere to dive. When I first dove my rear-inflation BC with an aluminum 80 in cold water, I had 26 lbs in the front pockets, nothing in back, and I was nearly face down on the surface. With my HP steel 100 and more experience I have 6 on the back and 10 in the pockets. Trim is outstanding, I often do the dive with no air in the BC, and I still have good depth control with 500 psi. Having to overweight yourself for the positive buoyancy of an aluminum tank at the end of the dive can be the beginning of a slipperly slope. If I take off my BC, I take off all the weights. I'm less sure about having 6 pounds that are not ditchable in an emergency. If I ditch 10 and I'm still in trouble another 6 might not make too much of a difference. On the other hand making an CESA 16 pounds positive sounds a little dangerous, and doing one 26 pounds positive is going to be fast.

Some good points Jim, I was just wondering what the difference is between using a steel tank to stay neg at the end of the dive and adding lead (other than that the lead is ditchable) and of course I'm assuming that you get more bottom time out of a hp tank. As far as the CESA I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to split up the total weight between the weight pouches/trim pockets and carry a couple of pounds in the bc's zippered pockets so there would be more ditching options? Any thoughts?

es601:
Some good points Jim, I was just wondering what the difference is between using a steel tank to stay neg at the end of the dive and adding lead (other than that the lead is ditchable) and of course I'm assuming that you get more bottom time out of a hp tank. As far as the CESA I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to split up the total weight between the weight pouches/trim pockets and carry a couple of pounds in the bc's zippered pockets so there would be more ditching options? Any thoughts?
Well, if it's the ability to perform a CESA that concerns you, perhaps it would be a good idea to keep in mind what the C stands for. Go ditching weight and you are no longer in control of your ascent ... you are now doing what is referred to as an emergency buoyant ascent, which is only something you'd want to consider doing if the other option is certain death.

A CESA is typically performed with all your weights in place ... by swimming to the surface. Only after you are on the surface should you be thinking about your ditchable weights.

If you are properly weighted, you should not need much ditchable weight in order to remain buoyant on the surface ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I hear so many people speculate on ditching weight and they usually seem to imply at depth. I'd like to hear one valid scenario where a recreational (single tank) diver would ditch weight and make an uncontrolled buoyant ascent other than the fear of passing out before reaching the surface.

Dennis

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, if it's the ability to perform a CESA that concerns you, perhaps it would be a good idea to keep in mind what the C stands for. Go ditching weight and you are no longer in control of your ascent ... you are now doing what is referred to as an emergency buoyant ascent, which is only something you'd want to consider doing if the other option is certain death.

A CESA is typically performed with all your weights in place ... by swimming to the surface. Only after you are on the surface should you be thinking about your ditchable weights.

If you are properly weighted, you should not need much ditchable weight in order to remain buoyant on the surface ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Your right Bob I would probably never consider ditching a weight pouch at depth but I thought that possibly slipping a 1lb weight (or two) out of a bc pocket might be just the ticket in a marginal situation where some body is accidentaly over weighted,physically compromised or aiding another diver who is one of the above. I don't know really just being a newbie and all it was just a thought.:06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom