Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, The actual dive site was called "Round Rock" It was about a 5 min boat ride from Dolphin Point and that was not where we initially boarded the boat. And to be honest with you I was not paying any attention to where we were coming back because I was consoling Pam the whole time telling her to keep praying and holing on. So when we pulled up to a dock I had no clue where we were. If you want to see a short video of it I can post that.

Maybe when CD returns he can shed some light on this site, he frequents the area.

No worries on the video. . .

:D probably - but this thread has been growing so fast it is an easy oversight. :D

yeah thats it, an oversight on my part. . .

IMHO - not good. I think we have established that the DM made some extremely poor judgment calls but this would be an additional oversight on his part. Not saying this led to the situation but definitely leaves one scratching their head as to what he was (if anything) thinking.

Question - how old was the DM? Any idea how much experience he had as a DM?

I was told a story during my IDC about a recent OWSI who was working as an instructor at a resort on one of the islands ... he decided it would be ok to take some discover scuba participants to 150'+ ... all on alum 80's although at that level of stupidity - I don't think tank size really matters. Apparently after this stunt he was "asked" to leave.

I am guessing he was in is late 30's early 40's. Just a guess. I could tell by his accent he was from the UK if that matters. I don't know how much experience he had but I do know he is also an instructor. He is on teaching duty until the investigation is over according to a PADI rep. And I had my advanced scheduled for the next day and before all this happened I asked him if he was going to be my instructor and he said no because he had the day off.

The video is just a news clip that is on the Internet. It came out after the accident. It doesn't mention any names and really doesn't show anything other than people getting off the boat and the ambulances. Anyone can google it if interested.

the video is just a news clip that is on the internet. It came out after the accident. It doesn't mention any names and really doesn't show anything other than people getting off the boat and the ambulances. Anyone can google it if interested.

rgr..

There was obviously a long line of mistakes, from training that didn't stress calling a dive when you aren't comfortable (can't really dispute this fact, if he certified with PADI, that fact is stressed all through the OW book and should be stressed by the instructor)

How do you know his training didn't emphasize this at every turn? People can be told something a hundred times, repeat it back to the authority figure, and still not follow the advise. I know, I was a teenage boy once! :D I still know adults like that.

I have NO idea what his training was like and neither do you. The (2nd hand) comment about "doing it to say he did it" may very well indicate disregarding of this training, had it been administered. I don't know.

I will say that when you've spent a chunk of change to be somewhere, calling a dive is a "difficult" thing to do, but a vital skill. I just called my first one a few weeks ago. Called two of them, actually. Flushed anywhere between $80 and a few hundred bucks down the drain depending on how you count. Glad I did, but not something everyone will do regardless of their training.

Last edited:

sorry roger, radio term used to acknowledge a transmission :D

or in this case I went to google to find said news stories :)

I have been diving for 20 years and I don't dive to 100ft. No need to that is why I was with his fiance' and she was a new diver and she didn't want to go to a 100ft so I told her to stay with me. It took us 5 or 6 times to explain to the DM that we were going to be buddies and NOT going to a 100ft and that we would hover over the rest of the group.

and I have been diving for 2 years and regularly dive to 165' and deco with 2 mixes. so what does your 20 years in have to do with anything? If you have never been kicked out of the nest, you don't know how to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom