DIR- Generic Diver attitude! Be careful, experienced divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course, the new diver never showed up for more dives.
I don't get the part about "of course he didn't show up for more dives".

Just because a handful of "lemming-technie-know-it-alls" decided to gang up on him because they think that they way they dive is the only way to dive?

If it was me I wouldn't be the least bit offended nor would my gear configuration probably change unless I received some advice that actually made sense.

And I'd be right back on that same boat the next day if it was going where I wanted to dive. Regardless of who was on it.

If everyone ran away from scuba related conflict this forum would not be in existence.

Not to comment on the configuration argument, I think a new diver who has the audacity to spout what they know in such a manner isn’t someone I would want to dive with as well as the insecure person who felt his comment was worthy of any response beyond a grin.
Seriously. If it were me, I would have gone up to the person and asked "I'm a nooby, can you explain why your setup is that way?". The advanced diver would have probably been more than happy to share.

The new diver was taught a "standard". In his eyes, he thinks that he is doing the other diver a favour by telling him that this isn't "PADI standard". He was taught that this is THE standard, and he thinks PADI is all there is. His tone was not rude as much as it was very naive. It is on the "experienced" diver not to blow up, and instead explain.
You may be right, but I think it's more likely that the guy was one of the ones who thinks he's really an advanced diver because he did AOW and has 12 dives. Hell, I have 10x that now but at least know I have TONS still to learn. If it was clearly a discrepancy in a known piece of gear, respectfully make a comment about it. If it's a completely foreign setup or piece of gear, humbly ask and learn something.

My $0.02. I see this a lot in a another community I frequent, rock climbing. I think humility is important in sports where mistakes can cause serious injury. Too often newbies are gung ho and speak when they should listen and experienced practitioners lose common sense as they get complacent in an activity they should be giving the seriousness it deserves.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom