Diver accident in Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nitroxbabe:
Limited space? A smaller O2 unit takes up less room than an aluminum 80!

No dive boat should be without O2.

But as they say, you can wish in one hand...

I agree that it is an essential safety item and should be carried on all dive boats but at least a six pack will get you to shore fast. I think I read on this board, somewhere, that these O2 canisters get stolen from the boat so boat owners don't replace them.

bobmaggi:
I wanted to get this out myself before it gets picked up and the facts distorted.
Who would distort the facts?

At 9 minutes into the dive I snapped a photo and saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. She had dropped her regulator and was picking it up and placing it back into her mouth OK. This normally no big deal, but this time she spit the reg out right away and started choking, panicing and started trying to swim up.
Why is this normally not a big deal? Did she do this all of the time? Why did she spit the regulator back out?

Unfortunately I couldn't control the ascent very well with holding on to her and the trying to keep the reg in her mouth so I wasn't able to dump air as we came up. So we shot to the surface in about 30 seconds based on dive computer having a 30 second logging interval.
Why did the ascent take so long?

The short time period down (9-10 min), it being the first dive of the day probobly saved us from the bends although I'm sure my blood was fizzing pretty good.
Why do you think your blood was "fizzing pretty good"?

Once on the boat we really needed sissors to cut the dry suit off, we were able to use a knife to cut the neck seal but sissors are quicker and safer for the diver and person using the knife in this type of a panic situation. Luckily one of the other divers had shears that openned up the suit quickly.
Why didn't someone just unzip the suit?

I hope she has a speedy recovery. My wife does not dive, but if she did I am not sure how I wouold react in a similar situation. This, I am sure, was a very stressful situation.

Bob and Maggi,
My prayers out to you both. Bob, this has to be the worst nightmare scenario for anyone who dives with a loved one. You were magnificent. I just hope all my training kicks in if my wife ever has a problem like this. This is a good reminder that the next time any of us are out at a quarry or lake, refresh and practice our rescue skills, I know the next time we are out we will be doing this.
Thank you Bob for being such a great dive buddy for your wife!!!!

Having read all of this thread and others in this forum, I think I can help here, as wel as fix your quote marks....
Rec Diver:
bobmaggi:
I wanted to get this out myself before it gets picked up and the facts distorted.

Who would distort the facts?
Well meaning people distort facts all the time. It happens, nice to have this from the horses mouth....

At 9 minutes into the dive I snapped a photo and saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. She had dropped her regulator and was picking it up and placing it back into her mouth OK. This normally no big deal, but this time she spit the reg out right away and started choking, panicing and started trying to swim up.

Why is this normally not a big deal? Did she do this all of the time? Why did she spit the regulator back out?
She had some history of losing her reg when her lips got numb in cold water, and this time - apparently she inhaled some water when she put it back in, causing her to choke.

Unfortunately I couldn't control the ascent very well with holding on to her and the trying to keep the reg in her mouth so I wasn't able to dump air as we came up. So we shot to the surface in about 30 seconds based on dive computer having a 30 second logging interval.
Why did the ascent take so long?
They were deep, that is a fast ascent!

The short time period down (9-10 min), it being the first dive of the day probobly saved us from the bends although I'm sure my blood was fizzing pretty good.
Why do you think your blood was "fizzing pretty good"?
The ascent was pretty fast, and he feared that they would both get bent from the N2 coming out of blood solution.

Once on the boat we really needed sissors to cut the dry suit off, we were able to use a knife to cut the neck seal but sissors are quicker and safer for the diver and person using the knife in this type of a panic situation. Luckily one of the other divers had shears that openned up the suit quickly.
Why didn't someone just unzip the suit?
You've never worn a dry suit, have you? More difficult than a wet suit to get off, especially in an emergency treatment of an injured diver.

I hope she has a speedy recovery. My wife does not dive, but if she did I am not sure how I wouold react in a similar situation. This, I am sure, was a very stressful situation.

[/QUOTE]I'm sure others will find other mistakes but the important thing is that she is breathing and her prognosis is good for this stage. That CPR/AED and First Aid class I took last year come in very handy, I'm definately going back and taking the Rescue Diver class the next time it is offered![/QUOTE]

Bob, I am impressed that you where able to keep such a level head in such a scary situation. I know ppl who have taken the Rescue cource and not stayed so compossed. Others may find fault, but in the end you both made it to the surface and your both still alive! - its hard enough when your 'buddy' has an issue - but when its a spouse or family member sometimes emotions can get in the way. Way to Go! :D

I hope both you and your wife recover in best health and dive again. :wink:

DandyDon:
Having read all of this thread and others in this forum, I think I can help here, as wel as fix your quote marks...

Well meaning people distort facts all the time. It happens, nice to have this from the horses mouth....

She had some history of losing her reg when her lips got numb in cold water, and this time - apparently she inhaled some water when she put it back in, causing her to choke.

They were deep, that is a fast ascent!

I wasn't aware that 73 feet was considered deep. I know a State Police recue diver that have shot up from 100 feet in 10 seconds with no ill affects. Her ascent was so fast that her fins cleared the water. I was also on a dive a couple of months ago when the inflator valve of one of the divers BC malfunctioned and sent him straight to the surface. He also cleared the surface upon arrival. Again, no ill affects.

The ascent was pretty fast, and he feared that they would both get bent from the N2 coming out of blood solution.

What difference would that be, if she wasn't alive? Being bent can be dealt with once your on the surface. I think getting to the surface would be more important.

You've never worn a dry suit, have you? More difficult than a wet suit to get off, especially in an emergency treatment of an injured diver.

All I dive is dry. if you think getting a wet suit off is easier than getting a dry suit off, then you have never dove wet. My dry suit by the way is a White Nexxus Shell...XL

bobmaggi:
My wifes condition continues to improve slowly. The fever appears to have broken and the pneumonia taken care of. Depending on how she responds, they are planning removing the ventilator in a couple of days and also start bringing her up out of the induced coma. Hopefully she will wake up without any memory of the events since the accident.

Bob

I just picked up on this thread and have to commend you on your actions. You can be my buddy anytime. I hope your wife recovers completely.

On a side issue, there's been a lot of talk of O2 on boats (they should be) but even if they did, one never knows if they work. According to you profile, you are deco and trimix certified. Did you have a decompression gas clipped on (100% 02 usually)? I noted that this was supposed to be a NDL dive so maybe the need for one was eliminated? It seems to me that one of the advantages of being tech diver (I assume you're one) is the carry of your own source of oxygen.

Again, my commendation to you and hope your wife fully recovers.

I am editing after you editing here. Hope we don't cause confusions...

I wasn't aware that 73 feet was considered deep. I know a State Police recue diver that have shot up from 100 feet in 10 seconds with no ill affects. Her ascent was so fast that her fins cleared the water. I was also on a dive a couple of months ago when the inflator valve of one of the divers BC malfunctioned and sent him straight to the surface. He also cleared the surface upon arrival. Again, no ill affects.
73 feet is gernerally considered a Deep dive - deep enough that I'd want a 2-3 minute ascent and a safety stop. I've seen others turn into corks when they hit the inflate button my mistake, and it's risky.

What difference would that be, if she wasn't alive? Being bent can be dealt with once your on the surface. I think getting to the surface would be more important.
Yes, of course. I think he was just relieved to have only one injury, not two - and not having a wife who was bent and drowned both.

All I dive is dry. if you think getting a wet suit off is easier than getting a dry suit off, then you have never dove wet. My dry suit by the way is a White Nexxus Shell...XL
Okay maybe I exaggerated again. I have dived dry, and the newer "self-donning" suits are easy enough to remove, even easy enough to get on after a few times.

I guess I should have said that when trying to save the live of an injured diver, one will cut any suit off to save time. DAN will replace lost or ruined equipment involved in an injury claim I think.

DandyDon:
I am editing after you editing here. Hope we don't cause confusions...

73 feet is gernerally considered a Deep dive - deep enough that I'd want a 2-3 minute ascent and a safety stop. I've seen others turn into corks when they hit the inflate button my mistake, and it's risky.

Yes, of course. I think he was just relieved to have only one injury, not two - and not having a wife who was bent and drowned both.

Okay maybe I exaggerated again. I have dived dry, and the newer "self-donning" suits are easy enough to remove, even easy enough to get on after a few times.

I guess I should have said that when trying to save the live of an injured diver, one will cut any suit off to save time. DAN will replace lost or ruined equipment involved in an injury claim I think.

I wish to thank you for editing my mistakes. I am still learning to operate this equipment.

73 feet...when I took deep class I was trained for dives in excess of 100 feet. This I was told was deep. I understand the risky business...I just think that this would have been a situiation that would warrant expedition to the surface. A 9 minute dive to 73 feet hardly comes close to the NDL for this depth.

I am not trying to criticise the actions of this diver. I was just wondering what he might have been thinking during this situation? It must have been extremely stressful. I was curioius to know wether he was actually thinking the things he wrote in his thread or did his actions happen naturally?

Sorry I missed the opening post of this thread when you started it. I agree with the others that I have read. You did all that you humanly could except make sure that O2 was on the boat. Of course the Cedarville is close enough to the St. Ignace side of the straits that you could have made a quick run to a dock out there as well as Mackinaw City like you did. I am postive that the EMT's have O2.

What dive boat were you on perchance? The three operators that I deal with up there have O2 on their boats.

For the people that don't know, getting an unconscious person out a drysuit while trying to do rescue breathing would be somewhat near impossible. Wetsuit/drysuit, I don't care. Get some EMT shears and cut that thing off starting with the neck seal to encourage breathing. Oh, and I really don't care what DAN will or won't replace for equipment. I care that my dive buddy is still alive and well when things are said and done.

To be honest, in the situation that you are referring to, I would be more concerned with embolism than the bends, but if that had been a second dive. Well that would have been a concern once you hit the surface. Like you said, she refused the reg the was offered. The immediate concern is drowning. That is not to say that having air embolism and the bends wouldn't be prone to go through your head.

In the end, I am not in a position to second guess anything that happened. I wasn't there and there is nothing glaring that could have been done differently.

In short, you did great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom