Diver accident in Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobmaggi:
Since you also use your lips to hold the regulator and with cold water the lips numb up pretty quick. So if you aren't also biting down on the bite tabs it is fairly easy to have the reg pop out when you turn your head. I've almost had it happen to me a few times when we are diving in <40 degree water (regular temperature occurrance around here) and have to mentally remind myself to bite down harder. I didn't see her regulator fall out, I just saw her grabbing it and replacing the reg. This has happened before and she has told me afterwards that her lips were numb enough that she couldn't really 'feel' the regulator and didn't realize that she wasn't clamping down hard enough.
Bob
Bob, As a cold water diver myself (Vermont) I know what having numb lips is like. I changed my mouthpiece to a SEA CURE molded mouthpiece, have had less jaw fatigue and I dare anyone to try and pull it out once it's in, much less have it fall out. You may want to look into one and see if it works for you or your wife.
Thanks for the updates on your wife, you'll both continue to be in many of our prayers,
Chris

DandyDon:
A lot of us are wondering about that. I might ask to actually see an O2 kit south of the Rio Grande - in fact, after using one on a diver in Cozumel once that didn't work, I might even test it myself. In US or Canadian waters tho - we like to think we can count on such from a paid charter, altho a private boat may not be required to carry O2.

I think O2 onboard is a dive boat requirement. When we see a PADI decal on the dive shop/boat we automatically think that things are done by the book, or as close to the book as possible, which would mean, at the very least, an O2 canister onboard. A call to PADI would clear this up. They should not be able to display the PADI symbol till they have O2 onboard. If they are able to display the PADI symbol while not carry O2 then we can see how meaningful that symbol is. It has to mean SOMETHING?

Bob, if they had it onboard but no one could find it, that's the same as having it but it not working. If they can't find it, they did not have it.

Ok, let me clear up some the issues about having O2 on board. First of all, PADI doesn't certify boats, you can pay PADI to have the dive op or shop be a PADI shop. This has more to do with whether or not you'll certify divers through any other agency than any particular safety equipment on the boat. Remember, most dive shops don't have boats.

The Coast Guard has 2 classifications of boats: inspected and non-inspected. Inspected vessels are commercial boats and they can be any one of a number of categories. Very big boats are inspected, passenger vessels that carry more than 6 passengers are inspected. The CG doesn't really care about the operation of passenger vessels specifically, just that they have more than 6 passengers on board. That said, they don't specify O2 for vessels engaged in diving activities on boats that carry more than 6 paying passengers.

From the story told here, we're dealing with a 6-pack boat which is under no specific obligation to carry any safety gear other than what a normal private boat is to carry. 6-packs aren't required to have aspirin on board. Just the normal stuff, proper lights, life jackets, flares, etc. There is a Coast Guard Auxiliary inspection that smaller vessels can get but it's not to be confused with an official COI that bigger boats need to operate.

I hope this clears something up vs. confusing the issue.

Rachel

biscuit7:
Ok, let me clear up some the issues about having O2 on board. First of all, PADI doesn't certify boats, you can pay PADI to have the dive op or shop be a PADI shop. This has more to do with whether or not you'll certify divers through any other agency than any particular safety equipment on the boat. Remember, most dive shops don't have boats.

The Coast Guard has 2 classifications of boats: inspected and non-inspected. Inspected vessels are commercial boats and they can be any one of a number of categories. Very big boats are inspected, passenger vessels that carry more than 6 passengers are inspected. The CG doesn't really care about the operation of passenger vessels specifically, just that they have more than 6 passengers on board. That said, they don't specify O2 for vessels engaged in diving activities on boats that carry more than 6 paying passengers.

From the story told here, we're dealing with a 6-pack boat which is under no specific obligation to carry any safety gear other than what a normal private boat is to carry. 6-packs aren't required to have aspirin on board. Just the normal stuff, proper lights, life jackets, flares, etc. There is a Coast Guard Auxiliary inspection that smaller vessels can get but it's not to be confused with an official COI that bigger boats need to operate.

I hope this clears something up vs. confusing the issue.

Rachel

I don't doubt what you say, but with a choice between an op that carries O2 and one that does not, I'd choose the one with.

Seems to me that a responsible dive op would carry this essential first aid item for divers. I've personally been on two trips where O2 was needed.

nitroxbabe:
I don't doubt what you say, but with a choice between an op that carries O2 and one that does not, I'd choose the one with.

Seems to me that a responsible dive op would carry this essential first aid item for divers. I've personally been on two trips where O2 was needed.
I agree totally, and I have also been on two trips where O2 was needed.

But what can one do about it? I asked in Cozumel, even had them show me the kit and open the box. About all I didn't do was ask to have it tested, and when we needed it 2 hours later - it failed.

I guess you do as much as you reasonably can and hope for the best. Asking if they carry one, then asking to see it when you board is probably my limit.

DandyDon:
I agree totally, and I have also been on two trips where O2 was needed.

But what can one do about it? I asked in Cozumel, even had them show me the kit and open the box. About all I didn't do was ask to have it tested, and when we needed it 2 hours later - it failed.

I guess you do as much as you reasonably can and hope for the best. Asking if they carry one, then asking to see it when you board is probably my limit.

Not having O2 on a 6 pac boat is understandable, due to limited space, but not having one on a large, lumbering, cattle diveboat is unforgivable. It is a good idea to ask if the boat has O2, but, as Don says, what can you do if they don't? It seems like such a necessary item to have onboard that not having it is such an obvious lapse in safety.

Wow - don't know what else to add that hasn't already been said. I think that you did a fantastic job - I hope that if I'm ever in the same situation, I can keep my head screwed on half as well as you did.

When your wife is feeling better, make sure she logs on here - there are a bunch of folks that want to wish her well and let her know that she has the best dive buddy that she could ever hope for...

Best,
David

Well, I just talked to two captains of commercial vessels (dive boats) here in Hawaii and although they do have 02 (litigation driven) there are no agencies requiring this. These captains insist all components in the first aid kits must be present and that the first aid kit IS a requirementfor the COI.(my aspirin point) This does not include Oxygen. I am not saying this is reasonable, but as far as I understand it, this is the way it is.

Some operators, especially larger ones, board various boats with their own oxygen kit even though most of the boats here have O2.

My wifes condition continues to improve slowly. The fever appears to have broken and the pneumonia taken care of. Depending on how she responds, they are planning removing the ventilator in a couple of days and also start bringing her up out of the induced coma. Hopefully she will wake up without any memory of the events since the accident.

Bob

i'm glad she's continuing to improve. my best to you both!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom