Diver accident in Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a butterfly mouthpiece, as once you work it in - it really stays in the mouth easily. Aboard a Blackbeards, a DM told me he'd seen them, but never seen one worn inside the mouth? I guess some divers buy them without understanding the reason for the wings. Mine also glows in the dark if I still manage to lose it for any reason, but I haven't lost one since.

Bob,
I read your post shortly after it went up and said to myself," I hope I can do as well if I'm ever in that sort of situation". Well it's about time I join the chorus and say You did well. I hope you wife continues the steady progress.

Pete

Wow, I am so happy that your wife is doing OK. That is so scary. I've been involved in a similar situation myself.

I was also up in the Straits that day on the Rekdiver (Straits Scuba) on the Eber Ward & Sandusky.

Were you with Abyss? I don't know of any other ops in that area. ???

I guess I'd really like to know which boat didn't have O2 handy when it was needed... this stuff is important.

BZ Bob. You displayed extraordinarily good judgement under traumatic circumstances. All the very best for your wife's speedy recovery.

P.S. Pity about the boat with no O2 on board. Isn't that a requirement for commercial operators?

My prayers are with you and your wife. I am so glad that she is doing well and on her way to recovery. You should be so proud of yourself that you were there for her and were able to keep your wits and knowledge with you as you saved her life. Many people panic under pressure and all it takes is a few moments of panic and the oppurtunity to change the outcome can slip away. But you didn't panic, you reacted and SAVED HER LIFE, just remember that she is still here because of you. I hope that you her that voice when thinking about this event. You were are great husband and great buddy, I am sure she will be telling you the same thing very soon....
Good job and I hope we all have dive buddy's as good as you....
Christina

I can't add anymore that hasn't already been said Bob. Stop trying to second guess yourself, I can only hope to act as well as you did should I find myself in similar circumstances. My prayers are with you and your wife. Thank you for keeping us posted.

Ken

bobmaggi:
Since you also use your lips to hold the regulator and with cold water the lips numb up pretty quick. So if you aren't also biting down on the bite tabs it is fairly easy to have the reg pop out when you turn your head. I've almost had it happen to me a few times when we are diving in <40 degree water (regular temperature occurrance around here) and have to mentally remind myself to bite down harder. I didn't see her regulator fall out, I just saw her grabbing it and replacing the reg. This has happened before and she has told me afterwards that her lips were numb enough that she couldn't really 'feel' the regulator and didn't realize that she wasn't clamping down hard enough.
Bob

Thanks, Bob, for that very helpful bit of info. Since all my dives are in warm water, so far, I was unaware that numb lips could be an issue. This report from you is how we all learn, which is one of the strenghts of this board. As we all know, a small problem can escalate at depth so any information on how to keep small problems small is greatly appreciated. Now I know that if I dive in colder water I should hold my mouthpiece a bit firmer with my teeth to avoid losing my reg. I appreciate you taking the time to pass that along.

Hang in Bob.

nitroxbabe:
Wow, I am so happy that your wife is doing OK. That is so scary. I've been involved in a similar situation myself.

I was also up in the Straits that day on the Rekdiver (Straits Scuba) on the Eber Ward & Sandusky.

Were you with Abyss? I don't know of any other ops in that area. ???

I guess I'd really like to know which boat didn't have O2 handy when it was needed... this stuff is important.

Wouldn't not having O2 onboard be a violation and a cause for them to lose PADI cert, or something? I guess this adds to the recommendation that we should ask, before we leave the dock, if they have O2 onboard and where it is?

pilot fish:
Wouldn't not having O2 onboard be a violation and a cause for them to lose PADI cert, or something? I guess this adds to the recommendation that we should ask, before we leave the dock, if they have O2 onboard and where it is?
A lot of us are wondering about that. I might ask to actually see an O2 kit south of the Rio Grande - in fact, after using one on a diver in Cozumel once that didn't work, I might even test it myself. In US or Canadian waters tho - we like to think we can count on such from a paid charter, altho a private boat may not be required to carry O2.

Not sure what to say. If you saved a fellow diver you would be called a Hero. Don't know about others, but I can't even comprehand the emotional stress you had to go through saving your wife. The tough alone of a situation like that makes me want to throw up.
The only referance I have is a video I saw about Audreys last dive, and that is no help for me eather. I don't want to start an off topic discussion, but if you are second guessing your self, you might want to look at that video and see (in my opinion) how superior your crisis management was compared to a professional support team.

Once things settle down I would like to know if you think you would be as affective if your EFR course was a few years old? Or do you think things would (god forbid) turn out different. Also I am curious how your primary insurance is handeling this situation, and if your wife has dive insurance, what is their involvement.
Very personal questions, and you don't have to answer unless you want to and feel up to it.

You are a Hero

Back
Top Bottom