Diver accident in Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
"

Please forgive my ignornace. Why would she have inhaled water thru her reg? Why did she need to purge if reg was working properly on the boat, on the surface, and on the way down? Faulty reg?

Probably shouldn't have to explain this to you but......

When you drop a reg underwater (for what ever reason) it gets full of water. When she put it back in her mouth, her mouth probably had water in it too, that happens when you open your mouth underwater with no reg in it. Maybe she forgot to exhale first when she put the reg back in to her mouth, who knows. I'm sure she will tell her husband what went wrong when she is able to.

getwet2:
Probably shouldn't have to explain this to you but......

When you drop a reg underwater (for what ever reason) it gets full of water. When she put it back in her mouth, her mouth probably had water in it too, that happens when you open your mouth underwater with no reg in it. Maybe she forgot to exhale first, who knows. I'm sure she will tell her husband what went wrong when she is able to.

I undestand her reg was out of her mouth and that water gets into it when that happens but was curious WHY she dropped it? What caused her to drop it, have it fall out, get it knocked out, etc? Was it a reg malfunction?

Sounds like you did an awesome job under high stress. My thoughts and prayers for your wife...

On a side note...I still think there should be a gag/vomit/choke 101 class for divers.

Scuse the slightly OT question, but is the Cedarville a particularily difficult dive? Its on my list of things to see when I have the necessary experience since its one of the few huge ships in the great lakes shallow enough for normal diving, but ive never actually heard from anyone who has dove on it. Anything in particular to see?

Seems like the accident couldve happened anywhere though, sounds like a case of instincts over rational thought. Safety is with your buddy, not at the surface. Glad it is turning out all right.

84CJ7:
Scuse the slightly OT question, but is the Cedarville a particularily difficult dive? Its on my list of things to see when I have the necessary experience since its one of the few huge ships in the great lakes shallow enough for normal diving, but ive never actually heard from anyone who has dove on it. Anything in particular to see?

Seems like the accident couldve happened anywhere though, sounds like a case of instincts over rational thought. Safety is with your buddy, not at the surface. Glad it is turning out all right.

The Cedarville isn't a difficult wreck to dive if the current isn't too bad the day you dive and if you DON'T penetrate her. She's upside down and twisted which makes it easy to get disoriented.

If you want to pursue this further I'd suggest asking the same question in the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew forum. Lots of us have dove the Cedarville from that forum and I'm sure you'll get the information you are looking for.

Paula

Bob, rather then asking what else you could have done step back and look what you actually did do. From what you've stated everything you did worked for the best. A very heartfelt pat on the back is deserved we can only all hope we have dive buddies who are as prepared as you were to deal with an underwater emergency.

Hats off to a job well done. My thoughts and prayers go out to your wife.

bobmaggi:
I got lucky and did most of the right things in spite of the situation.

‘Chance favours the prepared mind.’ — Louis Pasteur

Which is another way of saying 400+ dives worth of experience and training took over when you had no time to stop and figure things out for yourself. In hindsight, you have identified what went right along with a few items that you could have done even better and hopefully we all will learn something from your shared experience. May we all do as well as you if we ever face that situation.

Bob,

Like everyone has said, you saved your wife's life. You are to be commended. You didn't panic. I am sure you were scared to death, I would have been. I hope I would react the same way in this type of situation.

There are only two things I can think of that you could have done differently. Someone said that you could have done some rescue breathing on the surface while heading back to the boat. I may have done this or not, you were pretty far away and really needed to get her to the boat. It is really hard to do this while in the water. Practice it once, you'll see. The only other thing is doing chest compressions on someone with a heartbeat. That can actually stop somones heart from beating. In your case, it was ok. Rescue breathing is all that should be done for someone that is not breathing, but has a pulse.

The boat should have O2 on board. ALL dive operators should have O2 on board.

You are my hero for today, I am sure your wife will agree. I would dive with you any day my friend. My prayers for your wife's speedy recovery.

pilot fish:
I undestand her reg was out of her mouth and that water gets into it when that happens but was curious WHY she dropped it? What caused her to drop it, have it fall out, get it knocked out, etc? Was it a reg malfunction?
The reg could have left her mouth the first time for any of a large number of reasons. When a diver replaces the second stage in his/her mouth, there's a bit of water in the space there, and this needs to be blown out - by exhaling or keying the purge button - before inhaling, or that water will enter the divers windpipe, which can lead to choking, possibly panic, etc. Without going in my details, it happened to me when I switched from my pony back to my main tank in June, and I felt the choking, possible panic, followed by dumbness as I regained control - as I have practiced that many times and know better. Sometimes, some of us get so accustomed to breathing in from that mouthpiece we may forget the necessities just for an unfortunate instant.

Bob, I certainly hope that Maggi's recovery is swift and full, and that she wants to get back in the water soon - before this might become her last memory of diving. If she doesn't, she doesn't. Thanks for sharing this with us, and very best wishes to you both.

Thanks for all the support!
Maggi is continuing to improve, they are changing the antibiotics today to a stronger one that should take care of the pneumonia. Her x-rays are looking good and the doctor is very pleased with her progress. They are decreasing the oxygen feed to the ventilator as her lungs get better at oxygenating her blood. She is down to 40% O2 on from the ventilator which is a big drop from the 100% they were feeding her earlier.
Once her fever comes down some more they are planning on removing the drugs that keep her from moving and the sedative so she can wake up. That won't be until tonight or tomorrow.
I don't know if they are planning another chamber run for her later or not. It had been discussed earlier in the week but they don't want to do the 6 hour run without her being concious. So far I haven't shown any signs of the bends, this being the first dive of the day and no deep dives previously helps out with that.
Bob

Back
Top Bottom