Dive watch? I like this one....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvmjethead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
251174_1.jpg

PROFESSIONAL - Dive Master - 241174

Seems like a reasonably priced ($525) yet very functional and durable timepeice to me. Any known problems with this particular model or brand.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I almost settled and bought the above watch, but I'm holding out for what I really want. Below is what I really want....

-At least 200 Meter depth rating
-Sapphire crystal
-Auto winding, Kenitic, Eco-Drive whatever you want to call it. NO BATTERY.
-Screw in crown and back
-Orange face OK maybe a black face but I prefer orange
-Stainless steel bracelet and case. NO I do not want a rubber/plastic/nylon band.
-Biggest luminos dots I can find.
-NO LCD or LED display at all.

Thanks for looking.

I kind of collect watches, I don't have that many but occasionally since HS graduation, wedding anniversery etc I have gotten another. I mostly have auto winding and manual winding mechanical watches and therefore as somewhat of a watch snob I would turn my nose up at that watch. Why, well, for one it is quartz electric and it is not a prestige brand and the styling is somewhat cloned. Now, don't get in a huff, it is an OK beater watch of the sort I often purchase to uh--beat up and lose--but for much less than 525 dollars. I simply am not going to pay more than 250 dollars for a battery powered watch.

For a cost effective but not cheap watch but certainly in the same price range your already looking I would look at a Citizen Professional Diver (auto winder) or even one of their neat non auto winders dive watches. I also am partial to the real deal, one and only Seiko Orange Monster auto winder (do a google). Also, you can sometimes find a similar Seiko orange face auto winder at Sams Club though it is not an Orange Monster and it is around 250 dollars, looks a lot like the watch you linked to.

I would not pay that much for a battery powered quartz drive watch from a mid line company. For some inexpensive and durable and decent looking sports/dive watches that are quartz type look at St Moritz. Nice beaters and when you lose it on the bottom of the Gulf in 90 feet you don't cry for days--I would not know about that of course, Heuer Professional (RIP, 1980-2003 and my wedding gift) and St Moritz, one cost a small fortune and meant alot to me and the other was a bubble gum watch.

N

I also personally prefer a rubber band to the stainless steel one. My primary dive watch is a pulsar(read seiko) diver's 200 meter solar 4000. Never needs winding, no replacing a battery, and it's been on over 100 dives frrom 95 degree water to 39 degrees at 155ft in Lake Erie. It looks good, ratcheting bezel, and best of all only 170 bucks.

It's hard to find a dive watch for less than $500 that meets the specs I'm looking for.

I had actually settled for this Swiss Army. It had everything I wanted except for the auto winding.

My list of wants.

-Sapphire crystal
-Auto winding
-Screw in crown and back
-Orange face
-Stainless steel bracelet and case
-Biggest luminos dots I can find. I want to REALLY be able to read this watch in the dark.

I looked at the Orange Monster and one other watch from Seiko (SKA367) and they were cheaper than the Swiss Army but didn't have several of the specs on my list.

I'm really still looking and that's why I posted here. You guy's have way more experience than I.

It's hard to find a dive watch for less than $500 that meets the specs I'm looking for.

I had actually settled for this Swiss Army. It had everything I wanted except for the auto winding.

My list of wants.

-Sapphire crystal
-Auto winding
-Screw in crown and back
-Orange face
-Stainless steel bracelet and case
-Biggest luminos dots I can find. I want to REALLY be able to read this watch in the dark.

I looked at the Orange Monster and one other watch from Seiko (SKA367) and they were cheaper than the Swiss Army but didn't have several of the specs on my list.

I'm really still looking and that's why I posted here. You guy's have way more experience than I.

The watch you linked to is not autowinding---it is quartz--at least on the link I read it was so it does not meet your spec either.

The Orange Monster:

-Depth rating--200M
-Crystal--Hardlux--recessed
-crown--heavy/huge screw down
-Back of case--screw in
-Bracelet--stainless or rubber
-Face--orange or black
-Movement--autowinding jeweled, full mechanical with day and date
-Luminosity---the Moster has huge luminous positions and hands--HUGE and they
glow so bright you need atomic sunglasses

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's "Orange Monster" Automatic Dive Watch #SKX781K1: Jewelry & Watches: Seiko

A review of the Seiko SKX781 - the ORANGE MONSTER

I am not trying to sell you--just giving you a bench mark to judge by, the Monster is a very heavy "tool" watch unlike the one you linked to.

Citizen Promaster Divers Watch Aqualand dive watches

Citizen Dive Watch - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

Hint, JFYI, when a watch is described as "Automatic" that means it is a mechanical autowinder, there is a pendulum that stores energy in a main spring. If it says quartz that means it uses a battery or some other electric generating/power source to excite the quartz crystal and time the electric motor. There are also the EcoDrive type watches etc. Hope this helps.

N

I've been given no less than three Swiss Army watches. I would not reccomend them to anyone. #1 leaked and died in the Florida surf, #2 wrist strap pins kept getting bent and coming apart by the pressure that a US Army field jacket cuff places upon them, #3 same weak pin issue and this watch flooded twice in cold water.

My Seikos, Pulsars, and even my Seamaster died.

It seems the only reason that I ever have to replace my Timex Ironman is when I lose one. I dropped one overboard off my boat and the other I backed over with my truck.

I also collect dive watches and have yet to pay retail for any watch.

I saw the Diver in a jewelry store earlier this year in Juneau. She is a beauty and is a good watch for the price. I am still considering it for my collection. But, shop around. Most jewelry stores mark the selling price as the suggested retail price. Keep in mind, the word is suggested. The selling price is seldom the marked price.

If you plan on using it to dive, I would suggest the rubber strap model. Often its the same watch but with a different bracelet so it has a different model number.

On the other hand, my working dive watch is a seiko automatic dive watch that I got in 1983. It is one of four seikos in my collection. It has been to hell and back and works just fine.

A quick check of google indicates a wide range of prices. If a jeweler's website says "call to order" because they are an authorized dealer give them a call. You will usually find they are willing to bargain. My target range is 15 to 25 percent off retail and have usually found people willing to do that.

Good luck. If you have any other questions about the particulars please feel free to PM me.

I have 50+ dives on this watch. I absolutely love it and it makes a great back up to my computer.

JV0030-01E.jpg

Just to add, if it is a watch you wish not to loose then consider getting one of the "Nato" type nylon watch bands that are a continuous loop through both pins. Here is an example bu there are all kinds in all colors:

Zulu Watch Strap 4 Ring

Stainless bracelets are nice in the boardroom or for bling but if your going to dive it then get a nylon band for water use. I can switch the Monster thanks to it's huge, heavy, easy access pushpins from stainless bracelet to Nato band in a few minutes with no fuss. If I had such a band on my Heuer (pre-Tag Professional Diver) I would still have it. I have a DOXA Sub but it rarely dives, I simply cannot afford to lose my 25th Aniversery watch. I have never had a Seiko leak but a buddy had one that did, I think he was not careful to make sure the crown was screwed down. I have seen a Rolex full of saltwater more than once--not a pretty sight.

Iti s true that for rugged throwaway use the IronMan type watches do fine.

Here is an EcoDrive Citizen--solar power that I like, not an Automatic.

Citizen 300m Pro Diver's Watch BJ8050-08E

Some cheap St Moritz M1s:

St. Moritz Momentum 200m M1 Divers' Watch

Good luck.
N

Why buy a "dive watch" when a good computer costs less?

Back
Top Bottom