Dive Tek for the non-tech diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if people could comment on their recreational
experiences with Dive Tek. I'll be in Kona in February, and am
looking into operators with on-board heads for the family.
They seem to get a good rating from people who use their
tech side, but I'm interested in recreational diving.
Thanks.

We dove with Dive Tek during the week between Christmas and New Years, once on a two dive trip and once on a three dive "long range" trip. I am a trimix-certified instructor, my daughter is a Junior Advanced Open Water diver.

On each of the trips, there was a mixed group of divers. Once, I was diving 21-35 trimix with accelerated decompression, another group was on 30-30, and a third group on air. On the second trip, one group on nitrox, another on air, a third on closed circuit rebreathers.

On each trip, Dive Tek provided a dedicated Divemaster for each group. In my case, that meant a DM just for me on the first trip as I was the only deeper deco diver. In all cases, Dive Tek's crew was top-notch. Our Captain, Chuck, was very knowledgable and relentlessly upbeat and professional. DMs we dove with included Colin, Gerard, and Heather. They are all great divers with advanced training but no attitude toward less-experienced divers. Heather was very encouraging toward my daughter and helped to build up her confidence on some of her first dives without me as her buddy.

In groups of divers, pairs would ascend as they ran to their safety margins of gas. The DMs were attentive, but not intrusively so. They were also enthusiastic about finding and identifying unique marine life for the group. A big highlight was the hammerhead we found at a site called Uli Pinnacle.

Dive Tek's boat was nice and not crowded. On one trip I think we had 8 or 9 divers, on the long range trip just 5, not counting crew. Decent sandwiches and salads provided, with requests welcomed in advance. There is an on-board head, which was clean and well-maintained. Of course, with the usual marine head rules (nothing, including TP, goes down that didn't originate inside of you.)

I highly recommend diving with these folks, whether for technical diving or recreational diving. You will likely have a great experience, we certainly did.

I dove with Dive Tek and had an absolutely geat time diving with them. The boat was excellent, Colin was my Divemaster and he did a fantastic job. They attended to my gear, treated me like a first class client, and were excellent divers.

I did come away from the experience wanting to improve my skills since the crew and other divers were so good.

They continue to be my first choice when diving Kona.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom