Dive Talk Go Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh you know, things like HUDs and solenoids really scare the KISS and KISS-adjacent crowd (*cough* DT GO *cough*).

Inb4 the KISS apologists come for me, I don't have any issues with mCCR and have toyed around with them. I just don't agree with some of the practices of certain mCCR instructors and not having certain safety equipment be standardized when it comes to ppo2 monitoring.
I know this was sarcasm, but you're right. The added complexity and failure points with solenoids and controller dependent action in the electronics to not my cup o tea. :)

I am an AN/DP diver who wants to continue my training into trimix. I am told that the cost of trimix fills makes it prohibitively expensive to do so on open circuit and that I should go to a rebreather prior to or simultaneously with my trimix training.

I'm also a geek so rebreather diving has its own appeal to me.

Would the DiveTalk Go be a good option for me?

What are the logistical obstacles to traveling with this unit (can you bring the O2 tank and sorb on a plane)?

Deepest I ever need to go is the Andria Doria.

I would love to hear well-informed opinions.

I am an AN/DP diver who wants to continue my training into trimix. I am told that the cost of trimix fills makes it prohibitively expensive to do so on open circuit and that I should go to a rebreather prior to or simultaneously with my trimix training.

What are the logistical obstacles to traveling with this unit (can you bring the O2 tank and sorb on a plane)?

If Trimix dives on CCR to the Andrea Doria are your goal the DT GO is not the right tool. You would be better suited with CCR with longer duration like and Optima/Choptima, JJ, Prism, etc.

DT GO is for extended recreational depths 120ft and shallower. It is trimix capable as it is simply a mechanical rebreather but the scrubber size is about 1.5 hrs in cold temps.

Snippet from the DT GO Manual:

Cold water, below 12.7°C/55 °F : 1.5 hours
Moderate water, 12.7°C/55 °F to 21.1°C/70°F , 2 hours
Warm water, above 21.1°C/70°F: 2.5 hours

If Trimix dives on CCR to the Andrea Doria are your goal the DT GO is not the right tool. You would be better suited with CCR with longer duration like and Optima/Choptima, JJ, Prism, etc.

DT GO is for extended recreational depths 120ft and shallower. It is trimix capable as it is simply a mechanical rebreather but the scrubber size is about 1.5 hrs in cold temps.

Snippet from the DT GO Manual:

Cold water, below 12.7°C/55 °F : 1.5 hours
Moderate water, 12.7°C/55 °F to 21.1°C/70°F , 2 hours
Warm water, above 21.1°C/70°F: 2.5 hours
Thank you.

That was exactly the data point I needed.

200' was the deepest I ever wanted to go in my life until I discovered CCR. I also never thought about cave diving, and now I am in love. As you continue diving, who knows what's going to happen? Don't get a unit that will limit your options.

Not specific to the GO, but you can travel with O2 tanks but I believe the valve has to be removed (no oxygen in it). For a lot of dive destinations, they should have tanks you can rent though. For sorb, I think that's also something that's probably generally paid for at your destination - I think it is technically flight safe but you would only do so if it's the only option (and may have to print out some compliance sheets for TSA).

I only have experience with travel buddies bringing their Choptima as well as a handful of EAC cartridges (one of my favorite things about the unit). Those are safe to fly with and pack easily enough. They just rented cylinders on-site (Red Sea).

For the unit itself, the Go is smaller than the Choptima and that can fit in a carry-on so I'm guessing that's no issue - the main issue for you sounds like it would be the diving limits of the Go potentially.

You need a proper mainstream rebreather, probably backmount.

Most people have their favourites for different reasons. All mainstream rebreathers will fit your Andrea Doria requirement.

You need a proper mainstream rebreather, probably backmount.

Most people have their favourites for different reasons. All mainstream rebreathers will fit your Andrea Doria requirement.
At the risk of a slight thread-jacking, why probably backmount over chestmount for cold water wreck diving? (Just curious. If you don't feel like that is an appropriate direction to take this thread, feel free to dm me your response if you want to.)

At the risk of a slight thread-jacking, why probably backmount over chestmount for cold water wreck diving? (Just curious. If you don't feel like that is an appropriate direction to take this thread, feel free to dm me your response if you want to.)
My opinion chest mount and backmount is a comfort issue for you.

Scrubber capacity, and controls are the same. For instance Optima vs Chest Mount Optima (Chopimta). Same. Just different shape. Same with the FxccR and the XCcr.

The biggest difference is chest mounts typically don’t have onboard diluent. You use your backgas or a bailout/sidemount gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom