Dive Talk Go Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My opinion chest mount and backmount is a comfort issue for you.

Scrubber capacity, and controls are the same. For instance Optima vs Chest Mount Optima (Chopimta). Same. Just different shape. Same with the FxccR and the XCcr.

The biggest difference is chest mounts typically don’t have onboard diluent. You use your backgas or a bailout/sidemount gas.
The idea of carrying my bailout on my back and also using that for a diluent source is very attractive. It eliminates an entire tank/valve/first stage assembly which to me says fewer failure points. That's actually something I really like about the DT Go but I realize that the Choptima offers the same solution without the range limitations of the Go.

At the risk of a slight thread-jacking, why probably backmount over chestmount for cold water wreck diving? (Just curious. If you don't feel like that is an appropriate direction to take this thread, feel free to dm me your response if you want to.)
Of course a "mainstream" chestmount is a possibility. They're rarely seen on big dives as they're quite rare.

Most people dive backmount in sea dives and the boats are geared up for it.

Important point: selecting your rebreather is a long-term decision. You will marry it and stay together for the first couple of hundred hours or more so you learn how to dive CCR. It's often best if you choose one that's common where you dive so you've people who can help you learn how to dive it.

By "mainstream", I mean any rebreather that's commonly available and has sold a lot of units, but most importantly it's a unit that is regularly dived well beyond your limits. For Andrea Doria, that's 80m/260ft. Units would include JJ, Inspiration, X-CCR, Prism, Revo, Meg, etc.

The idea of carrying my bailout on my back and also using that for a diluent source is very attractive. It eliminates an entire tank/valve/first stage assembly which to me says fewer failure points. That's actually something I really like about the DT Go but I realize that the Choptima offers the same solution without the range limitations of the Go.
Bailouts are clipped to you depending on the dive profile. Bailouts should be completely independent (IMHO) such that you can unclip them when they're needed by someone else, or unclip them when not needed (deep bailouts passed up to the boat on a sinker line). More importantly having a separate bailout from your diluent means two separate systems, not two systems sharing a common cylinder (aka dil-out).

Clipping your bailout stages either side and using bungee sidemount style will clean up your profile and makes it much easier when you're penetrating a wreck. They're also more streamlined, so promote easier finning.

Yeah but... its eCCR. For me and my diving that's a lot of complication that's unnecessary. Good Data Point for others though.
Hi
I also only dive mCCR but it doesn't stop me for diving units "born as eCCR".
The "trans (to use the flavored prefix of our time :)) mutation" is easy to do and it is reversible.
As you are in the US, get a Chop or an FX and just modify it.

I thought this was being marketed to un-experienced recreational divers; why would they already have a compatible computer?
You can find one on marketplace place for around 600-800 is why, at least I assume so. They make the money of the product. Probably not much profit in the DC so no reason to push it.

you can travel with O2 tanks but I believe the valve has to be removed (no oxygen in it). For a lot of dive destinations, they should have tanks you can rent though. For sorb, I think that's also something that's probably generally paid for at your destination - I think it is technically flight safe but you would only do so if it's the only option (and may have to print out some compliance sheets for TSA).
Anyone with the capacity to fill your no longer O2 clean tank will have rental bottles.
Taking sorb on a plane is a huge PITA and will devour your weight allowance very rapidly. Nevermind the finicky security. It's ghastly heavy.

Anyone with the capacity to fill your no longer O2 clean tank will have rental bottles.
Taking sorb on a plane is a huge PITA and will devour your weight allowance very rapidly. Nevermind the finicky security. It's ghastly heavy.
I took a keg to Bikini in July in its' own bag. It wasn't a huge PITA as long as I had a cart. Once I got to Kwaj and had no cart, it definitely became huge hauling it around Ebeye. I paid $200CDN for the extra bag. Sorb cost me $160CDN. So $360CDN. The boat was charging $500US. So it was worth it moneywise.

I had no problem with security but I did throw in a "Good to Fly" information sheet from Molecular Products in with it and took the corrosive warning stickers off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom