Dive Slates & Pencils: Tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QUOTE=cmalinowski]Man, that guy looks like he's working hard for that picture. That fist is clinched up tight :)[/QUOTE]

Some kind of Power Ranger, super hero slate!

Funny. :D

#7 mech pencil for me.

B00000J0HG.16._AA128_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

this is what i carry. you can write things + you can draw a picture.
some times if foget about dive when i start to darw a picture.lol

SubMariner:
There are cheap multi-tip plastic pencils that basically consist of a hollow tube with multple tips inside. As soon as one wears down, you pull it out, put it into the bottom of the tube, and a nice sharp fresh pencil is pushed up to the top for you to use.

Since they are moderately soft (probably a B or a 2B) the writing on a slate is nice & dark. No mechanical parts to rust, nothing to click, lasts a loooong time. :thumb:

Usually you can find them in KMart, Wallmart, Dollar Stores, etc.
I use these too...they're called "pop points" locally. Got'em at Walmart. They come in packs of like 30 or 40 at school supply time - enough to last me until I'm 80 or so...

Put a couple in the wetnotes and no worries! :D

Some kind of Power Ranger, super hero slate!
[/QUOTE]

Put one set on each arm and you become Wonder Diver, capable of deflecting multiple spear shot each second.

Yeah, I've used BIC mechanical (click) pencils. They last a couple of months in salt water before something inside corrodes. I just picked up an all-plastic mechanical carpenters pencil from Home Depot, we shall see how that does.
It might work for you to use drafting "lead-holders" They're like a mechanical pencil except they just clamp down onto a piece of lead rather than "clicking" it out. They might be more reliable against corrosion.

1643229592890.png
These are non wood pencils, I take them ,cut it to size , take a piece of string (cave line) about 8" long , tie a knot on one end, take an appropriates sized shrink wrap tube, cut it to size and shrink it over the string and the pencil. The all graphite pencil can be reused for a long time. I have a thicker one in my wet notes for cold water and a regular sized pencil for warm water. Pencils can be purchased at Hobby Lobby, and they might even have the shrink wrap tubes.

Pilot croquis is all-plastic, the 6b version writes great
Not sure why a thread from 2005 about pencils needed to come back. But this is what I use as well, they work great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom