Dive Slates & Pencils: Tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Made a slate out of a hunk of 3'' PVC, some thin bungee and and a carpenters pencil. Whole project cost about a buck fifty and since I dive fresh water I don't have to worry about the pencil too much. If you try this I would recomend cutting a chunk somewhat bigger than you think you would want then heating in the oven and forming to the shape of your arm. I wore two sweat shirts and managed not to burn myself. you can then cut it down tho the proper shape and size and drill some holes for the bungee. I keep a brillo pad in my dive bag to wipe it off after a dive.

E.B.

UnixSage:
Is it a multipage slate? I see refills are the pages "consumable"?

Sory if this is a dumb question.

Thanks

Not a dumb question at all—wetnotes are basically bound water-proof writing paper; usually a spiral pad or held together with zip ties. Some come with a sleeve/cover for the pad that will give you more storage space for pencils, tables, ID tag, etc.

http://www.riteintherain.com/

http://www.dive-xtras.com/index2.html

http://www.halcyon.net/acc/accessories02.shtml#notebook

I’ve used a Dive Rite multi page wrist slate too—it’s pretty good; wetnotes are just conveniently out of the way (clipped in your pocket) when you don’t need them.

There are cheap multi-tip plastic pencils that basically consist of a hollow tube with multple tips inside. As soon as one wears down, you pull it out, put it into the bottom of the tube, and a nice sharp fresh pencil is pushed up to the top for you to use.

Since they are moderately soft (probably a B or a 2B) the writing on a slate is nice & dark. No mechanical parts to rust, nothing to click, lasts a loooong time. :thumb:

Usually you can find them in KMart, Wallmart, Dollar Stores, etc.

Hey guys, where are you living? I
North East -NY, NJ.

I have been using those golf pencils and they do not last 2-4 dives. them I replace them. But usual the point breaks under water when I need it. I will check out staples and home depot to see what they have.

Go to an art-supply store and get a no-wood pencil. it's all graphite and will work until you break it, loose it, or use it up (in that order generally).

Some enlighted dive shops carry them cheaper and about 1/2 the length (around golf-pencil sized). If you're in south Florida, FillExpress is one such shop.

-Rob

I've had good luck using grease pencil on slates to make custom semi-permanent lines and columns. The paper sheath falls apart underwater, but I keep 2 in my save-a-dive kit for close encounters. Super durable underwater, even when I'm erasing pencil marks on the fly. You've got to scrub hard to completely remove it, and it leaves a streak mark on white plastic. Found at most art and office supply stores - a box of 12 for a few bucks equals a lifetime supply for you and 4-5 of your buddies. These things last forever if you keep them from melting or getting wet.

I keep the Q2 in my BCD pocket for close encouters. Custom slates get split ringed together with my other slates, tables, etc and reside in the other BCD pocket.

It works for me.....

SubMariner:
There are cheap multi-tip plastic pencils that basically consist of a hollow tube with multple tips inside. As soon as one wears down, you pull it out, put it into the bottom of the tube, and a nice sharp fresh pencil is pushed up to the top for you to use.

Since they are moderately soft (probably a B or a 2B) the writing on a slate is nice & dark. No mechanical parts to rust, nothing to click, lasts a loooong time. :thumb:

Usually you can find them in KMart, Wallmart, Dollar Stores, etc.

i use them for over three years now, here the kids call it magic pencils as you don't need to sharpen it. its great made of plastic casing. to clean the slate good all toothpaste (non-gel type) !!!

paolov:
i use them for over three years now, here the kids call it magic pencils as you don't need to sharpen it. its great made of plastic casing. to clean the slate good all toothpaste (non-gel type) !!!

Yes, those are the ones! :)

We tend to use Soft Scrub or a similar cream cleanser to clear our slates, however; toothpaste doesn't get rid of it fast or clean enough. At least on ours.

Pax,

i always notice that i have to draw harder to get the lead more readable. i will certainly experiment with that type of pencil. i just mainly use whatever they sell in the LDS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom