Dive Slates & Pencils: Tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

david.tolan

Contributor
Reaction score
When you get a dive slate, the pencil that comes with it is quite likely to be a HB pencil.

Throw it away. Or at any rate don't use it for diving.

Go down to your local stationary or art store and buy a few 4B pencils. Cut them to size.

The pencil lead is a lot softer, and the writing comes out like bold font in comparison to the HB.

Reading it underwater is 10 times easier.

D

do the pencils fall apart after 3-4 dives? the pencils I use crack or split after 3-4 dives. Has anyone tried a mechinal pencil?

Yeah, I've used BIC mechanical (click) pencils. They last a couple of months in salt water before something inside corrodes. I just picked up an all-plastic mechanical carpenters pencil from Home Depot, we shall see how that does.

ScubaMarc:
do the pencils fall apart after 3-4 dives? the pencils I use crack or split after 3-4 dives. Has anyone tried a mechinal pencil?

The metal parts in a mechanical pencil will eventually corrode. To be honest, I’ve never had a regular pencil fall apart, even after hundreds of dives—I prefer Staedtler Mars Lumograph 2B.

http://www.staedtler.com/Mars_Lumograph_gb.Staedtler?ActiveID=2571

Started using wetnotes instead of a slate recently.

Buy a magna doodle and be done with it...nothing to corrode or break.

The 'twist' mechanical pencils work well. These are the yellow ones that kind of look like a
real' pencil, only you twist the tip to get the lead to come out.

david.tolan:
When you get a dive slate, the pencil that comes with it is quite likely to be a HB pencil.

Throw it away. Or at any rate don't use it for diving.

Go down to your local stationary or art store and buy a few 4B pencils. Cut them too size.

The pencil lead is a lot softer, and the writing comes out like bold font in comparison to the HB.

Reading it underwater is 10 times easier.

D

I've had numerous people recommend carpenters/roofers pencils. They don't fall apart in water and have nothing to corrode. I use the little magna doodles from Walmart, but they are usually only good for about 25-35 dives before the magnetic tips corrode off the pen. I've heard the commercial scuba ones hold up well, but most are a bit oversized for my tastes. I saw a small wrist mounted magnetic one at DEMA last year and should have picked one up.

I just use the plastic pencils (made from recycled cups etc). It works nicely and doesnt soak/shrink or split like a normal one.

Another tip, sharpen it at both ends so if a point snaps when writing you can quickly rotate and continue without stopping :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom