Dive shops and training: the disconnect with reality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To quote my favorite Monty Python movie, This 'ere's a 'appy day. Let's not bicker and carry on about 'oo killed 'oo!

I've found some of Idocsteve's posts very informative and useful. In fact, there are a number of SB members that struck me as having studied, "How to Win Friends and Influence People - The Genghis Khan Edition," that have proved over time to also have some of the most useful information. In some cases, what I needed to learn first was their particular style of communication, and to not take things too personally on an internet forum - even if they came right out and told me I was being stupid about something.

Particularly if they just happened to be right about my being stupid on said subject.

It bears remembering that insults are the fallback when we run out of valid debate. If your discussion has degraded to the point where you're just exchanging snide comments, it's probably a good time to retire to neutral corners and let it go. You've already proven you're not going to change the other person's mind, and the more offensive you become, the less validity the other person is going to give to any information you might have exchanged.

I mean, really, why waste time and energy on a no-value-added argument?

Actually, when you think about it one man's Christmas tree could be another man's scooter,stage bottle,camera...:D

... you mean like this?

CIMG7438.jpg

Nothing there I could use a retractor for ...

... Merry Christmas ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... you mean like this?

CIMG7438.jpg

Nothing there I could use a retractor for ...

... Merry Christmas ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Scooter, duh.

Scooter, duh.

Of course ... what was I thinking?

Here's a shot my dive buddy took of me on Saturday ...

Bobs58th.jpg

... imagine that camera on a retractor ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Personally, I wouldn't ask for discount in a store (any store) that I didn't have a long term relationship with.

Are you saying that you would walk into a bookshop and ask for discount? Or your supermarket? Or Burger King?

Have you ever bought a new car?

I think your other examples are a bit off when you consider the purchase cost but perhaps people don't ask for discounts in those kinds of shops because those shops offer discounts upfront. They run advertisements in the paper or on TV, publish coupons, and have special sales. The consumer gets to review these "discounts" beforehand and decide whether it's worth a visit or not.

Bobs58th.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok in fairness you are as colourful as a Christmas tree :D

Ok in fairness you are as colourful as a Christmas tree :D

New suit ... ho ho ho ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bobs58th.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A retractor might have worked on that finger.:rofl3:

Bobs58th.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Admit it... you just posted that picture to covertly flip us the bird.

:rofl3:

Admit it... you just posted that picture to covertly flip us the bird.

:rofl3:

I wondered if anyone would notice ... :wink:

Actually, that's my shutter finger. I find it easier to hold onto the camera that way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom