Dive Rite XT vs Deep 6 Eddy

Which light fins for OW singles in wreck environment with thin wetsuit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a good start but I think fin area would be more accurate than length.

I guess I assumed most fins are roughly the same width.

There's another factor folks should consider other than blade stiffness/efficiency. The Deep6 foot pockets are a somewhat unusual design.

I own both Deep6 eddy fins and Dive Rite XT fins.

I find them both about the same with regards to power and my ability to frog/back (etc) kick. Both are a good sturdy design and you aren't going to ruin the fins if you kick something by accident.

The foot pocket in the Deep6 fins just do not fit me. I've tried all kinds of things to solve this with no luck yet. I do have what it looks like it might be a permanent scar from my week long attempt to get the deep6 fitting this past June.

I'm not saying the Deep6 are bad, just that the foot pockets are somewhat unusual in design compared to other fins I've used (diverite xt, mares x-stream). Most people seem to prefer the deep6 foot pockets over other brands. I'm probably just unlucky in regards to the shape/size of my feet. Maybe I'll buy some converse sneakers and try those inside the eddy's instead of my scubapro booties. That might make the rub issue a non-issue.

Deep6 are slightly positive in fresh water, Diverite are slightly negative. The diverites tend to be a problem for me due to their negative buoyancy if I'm in shorts or a skin. The deep6 solve that problem nicely. That's the entire reason I bought deep6 fins when I already owned diverite xt's. The diverite fins are perfect for me in a drysuit, and might be okay in a thick wetsuit if I ever tried to wear one again.

Other note:
I find the deep6 to be a little easier to fit into my luggage than the diverite - although I've taken both on international trips.

Also,
If you're ordering from Deep6, those guys are very good about returns and customer service in general. I tried several different pairs of Deep6 fins when I was trying to get the sizing right. They even accepted a return after I'd tried it out in my pool (yes, I told them that up front).

...and you can buy two pairs of Deep6 Eddy fins for the price of one pair of Diverite XT fins.

It's a good start but I think fin area would be more accurate than length.

You can't have any amount of force without a time element. How fast are you moving a set amount of water. So...can you move water more efficiently with lots of quick small amounts or slow big amounts. Split fins do the former. Paddle fins do the latter. Sorry to have to tell YOU ALL this, but when it comes to flutter kicks, split fins kick ass on paddle fins. If you want to go fast...learn how to kick with split fins.

Over the last 2 months, I have been able to dive the xt's, current jet fin (from taiwan), xdeep hard compound, and f1 lt's. If the jets werent so heavy I would stick with them as they actually fluttered the best of the bunch I tried. Thr f1 lt's were awesome for backing up, but thats about it. Xdeep had the most power and i preferred that, but the foot pocket was not that good. In the end, the best all round fin FOR ME, remains the eddy. If/when they make a negative version that is hopefully 0.5-1lb max then I would be all set. With my wetsuit boots in salt water, the current eddy is positive so its not ideal for me but a bit of trim weight adjustment fixes that.

Overall, the pricepoint and excellent foot pocket make the eddy an incredible fin for frog kicks and equally for reverse frog.

Back
Top Bottom