Dive Rite XT vs Deep 6 Eddy

Which light fins for OW singles in wreck environment with thin wetsuit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave22387

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking for some real world reviews or comparisons rather of these two. I have a pair of Hollis F1s which I love... Problem is now I live in South Florida and dive a 1mm or 3mm with a BP/W with a single steel 100 and sometimes a slung 40. These F1s are just too dang heavy. I'm gonna keep them for doubles and dry but for wet singles I need something lighter. I primarily dive wrecks and need to be able to frog kick and back kick***.

The XT’s are not heavy, though are quite long. I imagine the Deep6 or RK3 would be a better wreck choice.

I have both Diverite XT's and Deep6 Eddy. I use the longer XT's on most of my open ocean / reef / drift dives. For wrecks definitely the Deep6 Eddy fins for me.

I've used both and prefer the Eddy fins because they're more compact.

Eddy's are too light for me, so it sounds like they possibly are a fit for you.

For paddles, I own XT, F1, Jets, & Turtles (tried daughter's Deep6). Favorite is my turtles, but the foot pockets are huge (for my DS). Next would be my XT's. I just picked up the Jets (in grey camo) to try with thinner footwear. Been using old ForceFins for warm, and wanted something for different kicks.

I own or have owned Hollis F1's, OMS Slipstreams, Scubapro Jet Fins, Dive Rite XT's, Deep6 Eddy's, Mares Avanti Quattros, and several others. I currently am only diving Deep6 Eddy's unless I am diving barefoot then the Mares fins come out since I wear them with a 3mm neoprene sock.
The Hollis F1's, Jets, and Dive Rite's were stolen when my trailer got nicked, and I sold my OMS fins years ago when I got the Dive Rites. I loved the XT's, but they don't make a foot pocket big enough for me to wear a real wetsuit boot heaven forbid my drysuit, so I just didn't bother replacing them. The Deep6 XXL's fit my drysuit perfectly and are a smidgen too big with my wetsuit booties, but the XL's were a smidgen too small with the 5mm boot. If I dove more warm water, they'd get more love.

The XT's are really long and have a really snappy kick which is phenomenal, but if you're doing wreck penetration you may prefer the Deep6's. The XT's also require a bit of a different kick style than a normal paddle fin, so the eddy's may be easier to move back and forth with your F1's

My two go to find are the F1’s and the Deep6’s. I use the F1’s for OC drysuit and the Deep6 fins for CCR diving when I want minimal weight back at my feet. I find that I can switch back and forth easily with depending on my diving as they both perform similarly.

My two go to find are the F1’s and the Deep6’s. I use the F1’s for OC drysuit and the Deep6 fins for CCR diving when I want minimal weight back at my feet. I find that I can switch back and forth easily with depending on my diving as they both perform similarly.

+1 for this...

Although I only dive OC I've found I could switch easily between F1's and Deep 6 fins. I LOVE my Deep 6's... and currently they're my go to fin, although I will be packing my F1's (in addition to my Deep 6's) when I go diving in a few weeks...

Just edited to add a few pictures... I LOVE the buoyancy of the Deep 6's...

Attachments

• G1050090.jpg
    G1050090.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 238
  • G1060121.jpg
    G1060121.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 237
  • G1230638.JPG
    G1230638.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 239
I use F1, F1 LT, and Deep6 depending on configuration.

I tried the Deep6 and the DR XT back to back in the pool (and posted a detail review as a thread in this same subforum).

The Deep6 are almost neutral (in fresh water). The XTs were (IIRC), 0.4 # negative (for the pair).

I like the Deep6 better. They feel stiff and the XT feel SUPER stiff. The XTs felt so stiff I felt like I was on the verge of getting cramps all the time, just for normal swimming.

If you love your F1s, I'd guess you would love the Deep6 also. Sizing seems to be similar, too. I interchange F1 LT size Regular, and Deep6 size Large. I use F1 size XL for drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom