Dive Rite XT vs Deep 6 Eddy

Which light fins for OW singles in wreck environment with thin wetsuit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@stuartv

Hi stuart, i've read your reviews in the other thread and it was most insightful. I have the eddys and curious to try the f1 lt. You had previously said they are pretty close to same stiffness, but what about flutter? Is flutter easier on the f1 lts? I find flutter with the eddys impossible to move without tiring yourself out.

@Anthony A. you can't magically make more efficient fins. The stiffer the fin, the more effective it is, no different than a higher gear on a bicycle or your car. If they are softer, they'll be easier to kick but won't move as much water so you get less thrust for each cycle. Easier on your legs, but you can't move through current or get up to the same speed. Reason why rescue swimmers use stiff blade fins instead of split fins.
If you flutter kick regularly *which you shouldn't*, then these really aren't the fins for you unless you are trying to move somewhere quickly *rescue swimmer, always in high current, etc*. Alternate option is get in the pool with them and swim laps. Your legs will get used to it.

Hi, @Anthony A..

I don't completely agree with @tbone1004 on this one. There is more to getting thrust than only how stiff the fin is. I also have freediving fins. They feel like big limp noodles compared to the Deep6 fins. But, they will dang sure move you!

As for the F1 LT vs Deep6, I'm not sure I can really give you a good answer. I don't flutter kick much at all. My sense is that the F1 LT feels a bit less stiff. But, they also feel a bit bigger and heavier. You can wear yourself out with either fin, if you put some effort into it.

I do agree with tbone, though, where he says that if you are going to flutter kick regularly, neither one may be your best choice. If your other circumstances would permit, I would at least consider the Mako Spearguns Competition Freediving fin. They are great for flutter kick. Soft, yet very powerful.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Competition-Freediver-II-Fins-p/mcf2fbk.htm

And they're less expensive than the others, too!

Before anything else, though, you might just try slowing your kick down just a little bit, to see if you can get acceptable propulsion with the fins you have without tiring yourself out.

Thrust Per Kick ~ Stiffness x Length

Or something along those lines.

Thanks for the reply guys. I frog kick 95% of the time. Flutter really only when I need to chase someone rather quickly. The eddys are perfect for frog and backing up, but flutter not so much. I realize i only need flutter once in a blue moon, but its nice to have a fin that can flutter decently and still feel stiff enough for currents. I tried a pair of jet fins made in taiwan tgis past week and I was surprised how nice they were for flutter. I realize the taiwan material is softer than the made in usa version, but i felt no difference in performance for frog kicking vs the eddys. Obviously the eddys foot pocket is waaay better and lighter, so for me the eddys win in that dept. But im still looking for a fin that works like the eddy but easier to flutter. I "think" the f1 lt fits the bill. May just end up buying a set to try. Stuart, if you're looking to sell yours im interested :)

If you're in the area, you can just try them. Otherwise, you'll have to find your own. Mine are staying, at least until Deep6 finally releases a negatively buoyant version of the Eddy... :D

@Anthony A. the XT's are better for flutter kicking in my experience, probably worth a shot with those

If the Deep6 fin is too stiff for his taste, I think he would HATE the XT. I love the Eddy fin and the XT was WAY too stiff for me. I felt like I was on the verge of cramps almost all the time.

Im waiting for negative eddys also :)

To be honest, I actually wish the eddys were stiffer so I could frog kick and cover more ground eliminating the need to flutter. I tried the xdeeps in hard compound and those were awesome. But the foot pocket was molded from a 2x4 so meh.

I'd like to try the xt and f1 lt and worst case, i'll just wait for the negative eddys and call it a day. The holy grail in fins is a myth :)

I dive XTs and have no trouble moving 3-4 metres with each frog kick. It's stiff as though and wouldn't flutter kick any distances with it but once you've had enough sloppy fins fail in strong current there's only one way to go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom