Dive Rite Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rice

Reaction score
Would a Dive-rite transpac II harness with a BP and wings count as(towards) DIR?

I'm looking for a warm water system with mostly thin exposure protection. I LIKE the idea of padded straps and some protection for my back.

We'll see how far I go, I'm just gettign started.
thanks,
Rice

Rice,

The TPII system is def. NOT anywhere close to DIR. It has multiple failure points, and lacks the simplicity of BP/Harness. I understand your concerns, and would urge you to look around a bit more. Halcyon used to make neoprene "sleeves" which slide over the straps on the harness, and the"stealth pack" provides the back padding you are looking for.

Good Luck

Just for options. I believe OMS makes shoulder pads to use with a regular web harness. I use a bare SS backplate with a 3mm wetsuit and steel tank on occasion, as well as moving my double 95s wearing only a light shirt. The straps dig a mite, but I never feel anything on my back other than the plate.

Don't let perceived problems turn you away from a b/p.

Phil

Yea I just dove in warm water with a 3mil and didn't feel a thing with my BP/Wing setup. Just get some strap pads from Halcyon or make 'em your self with a couple of old neoprene mouse pads and some strong nylon thread... BP/Wings ROCK!!!

divrnr once bubbled...
Yea I just dove in warm water with a 3mil and didn't feel a thing with my BP/Wing setup. Just get some strap pads from Halcyon or make 'em your self with a couple of old neoprene mouse pads and some strong nylon thread... BP/Wings ROCK!!!

If you want to make some, you might consider some of the pads available for seatbelts. You can find them in the automotive section of just about any major retailer such as Walmart.

Re: Transpac and DIR. No, it isn't considered DIR because of multiple failure points and other reasons. However I did take my DIRF class using one and tho they pointed out the downfalls of such a system, I was never told "you can't use that."

Now George might not let you in the WKPP with one, and GUE might require an actual bp/wings if you take one of their Tech courses, but other than that, if you like it then dive it. I do.

Dear Chickdiver would please explain for me the multiple failure points in the TP2 please .

Every Buckle, every velcro connection and every "webbing loop" is a potential failure point.

Just last weekend we had to call a dive at Orange Grove because of a broken plastic buckle on a TPII. Usually not a HUGE problem, except there was nothing but limestone above us......

The TPII requires a chest strap, a simple harness does not.

I guess what Chickdiver is trying to say, is that it would be better to do away with all those things that you dont really need , and just use a harness that has very little or no weak points, and only has the ABSOLUTE necessities.

Personaly I have tried both, and found the Simple harness to be VERY simple and foolproof to use, the old TPII however, I found to be a little more cumbersome.

Of course its all personal prefferance, and the decision can only be made by the user, but its worth trying both, the results will speak for themselves.

Dave

Do many people dive BP/Harness for beach dives where you need to walk some distance between where you put your gear on and the water? What about taking everythign off and replacing it while in the water?

keep in mind I'm not being critical of the system I'm inquisitive.

thanks
Rice

The BP and wings configuration poses no problems walking around. Its no differant to a jacket. In fact with my lift bag stuffed up inbetween the plate and my back, I would say it's more comfy.
Certainly a well adjusted harness will sit better and be less "floppy" than any other option.
As far as removal under water, the harness is definatly easier.

There are no clips, buckles, straps or cummerbands to worry about.
I can simply undo the waist buckle, hook my thumbs in the chest d rings, slide the shoulders off , and roll out of it. Re fitting is just as easy, as easy as putting one arm in, rolling into the harness sliding the other arm in and doing up the waist. No adjustments and no other things to do up, clip up, or fasten.
The BEST part is that a correctly rigged harness will have no "dangly" things or additiona "bits" to hang up or get twisted.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom