DIVE RITE CX1 vs CX2???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

I've got a local dealer who still has a few CX1's in stock - willing to offer a good price.
Will be using as a primary rec light, then move to backup role later on.
I was initially looking to pick up the CX2, but held the CX1 in hand and I love its form factor - short and compact, and feels like a tank. I also love the very positive tail cap switch. I am not too concerned about the lack of battery level indicator as I routinely recharge the light after an outing regardless.

For any of you who have experience with either or both of these, which one do you prefer?
Is the CX2's higher LUM output significant in practical terms? Or is the CX1 enough.

I know some people have reported corroded tailcap switches - any experience w this? I mostly dive fresh water up here in Canada, but will be bringing this on vacations to south as well.

Again, I love that the CX1 is stubbier and feels great in hand, while packing a slightly higher capacity battery.
Is the 1700 lumens vs 1000 worth the jump in price and bulk? Or should I just go for the CX1?

Thanks!
I have experienced the tailcap sticking due to corrosion (I dive only in salt water), but it still worked fine. It just felt rough. However, now I just put a couple of drops of WD40 after I rinse it following each dive and it's back to normal feel.

That is exactly my plan as well, and CX1 sits very well balanced on top of hand.

Is that what you have found in practice?

How do the lumen outputs compare? Is the CX2 significantly brighter?
the CX1 has a max output of 1000 lumens for 3.5 hours.
the CX2 has a max output of 1700 lumens for 2.75 hours.
the CX2 on medium setting is 980 lumens for 5.75 hours.
so overall the CX2 is brighter and last longer on comparable lumen outputs then the CX1.

I seem to have misplaced my CX1 on land so am in the market for a backup light. Has anyone had issues with hitting the button on the CX2 accidentally? I had issues with the DGX one getting turned on in transit. It seems really bright from the specs. I'm curious how it has held up now that they have probably seen some use.

I seem to have misplaced my CX1 on land so am in the market for a backup light. Has anyone had issues with hitting the button on the CX2 accidentally? I had issues with the DGX one getting turned on in transit. It seems really bright from the specs. I'm curious how it has held up now that they have probably seen some use.
I flooded a CX1 and ended up with all CX2 now. Traded the CX1 I had for a brand new CX2 someone had. I carry both my backup lights on my shoulders, above the D rings (I dive SM). One CX2 got turned in accidentally once but now I’m careful to position the light so the button faces out. I have the QRM striker plate on both CX2 so I can easily use it in my DR soft glove if something happens to my EX35 can light.

I have recreational buddies who use their CX2 as a primary for Great Lakes wreck and quarry diving. They love it. Got them after seeing my CX2.

Can the CX2 be used above water at the 980 lumen setting or does it get too hot in air? Any issues with the button turning on unintentionally?

Can the CX2 be used above water at the 980 lumen setting or does it get too hot in air? Any issues with the button turning on unintentionally?

See my post above yours about light turning on unintentionally. I would not use it above water.

The CX1 is a great light in fresh water. Salt was a huge downfall for it.

The CX1 is a great light in fresh water. Salt was a huge downfall for it.

I really do miss the button on the tail cap the CX1 had. The CX2 is a bit too long for my tastes.

I really do miss the button on the tail cap the CX1 had. The CX2 is a bit too long for my tastes.
I don’t care for tail buttons, but I also don’t like turning on the light by accident. My LDS doesn’t carry Dive Rite. Would like to hold it before making a decision. I also would like to know how the modes are controlled, ie does the light come back on at the previous power level Or do you have to cycle through the modes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom