Dive rite cx2 Vs lx20+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can’t decide between cx2 and lx20+…

Since the lx20+ comes with the soft hand mount + attachment part, the difference is really only $250.

The cx2 has higher lumens, longer burn time, and has one single massive battery that can be charged directly, however the cx2 is longer and I’m worried it will be a hassle, especially w kubi rings.

Yes the lx20+ is rated to a deeper depth and appears to have some other gimmicks (self cleaning rotary something), but I’m surprised that would cause the price to double.

Why is the lx20+ double the price considering the tech specs noted above?

The LX20+ is a constant output, and the CX2 is not. The CX2 has 64% less battery capacity, 18% longer rated runtime, and 13% more rated lumens. That tells me the average brightness is WAY under the rated 1700 lm. It's also spreads those lumens over 77% more area, further reducing the apparent brightness.

Don't misunderstand, the CX2 is a great light, especially in a recreational setting or backup role. The LX20+ is simply in a different class and priced accordingly.

Did you decide between the two and how do you like your choice? I am looking at these two and am debating if I should save up or just go for the CX2 since I only do open water ocean dives.

Did you decide between the two and how do you like your choice? I am looking at these two and am debating if I should save up or just go for the CX2 since I only do open water ocean dives.

Got the lx. It’s overkill for open water; I don’t regret it since I’ll eventually use it for caves but yea…beyond overkill. During my night dive I kept it on half power.

Got the lx. It’s overkill for open water; I don’t regret it since I’ll eventually use it for caves but yea…beyond overkill. During my night dive I kept it on half power.
Now that you've used it a bit how do you feel? I'm in the exact same debate with myself. The lumens + battery capacity + burn time between the two doesn't make sense to me.

I probably won't be doing caves for some time if ever. I mostly would be using it for NE wrecks in the 100' range where it can get dark. I don't need the soft ladle the LX comes with since I'll get a goodman. $550 vs $150 is probably the main point of debate for me.

Now that you've used it a bit how do you feel? I'm in the exact same debate with myself. The lumens + battery capacity + burn time between the two doesn't make sense to me.

I probably won't be doing caves for some time if ever. I mostly would be using it for NE wrecks in the 100' range where it can get dark. I don't need the soft ladle the LX comes with since I'll get a goodman. $550 vs $150 is probably the main point of debate for me.
They aren't really designed for the same market. The LX20 is full brightness for its duration and then steps down to the next lower level.
The CX2 gradually gets dimmer. Both are great lights, but the cx2 is more of a recreational light/backup primary.
The LX20 is a cordless primary light.

I don't like how bulky the CX2 is. It is noticeably longer and thicker in the middle than a DGX700 and D710.

For those wrecks, you will want a light that has multiple brightness settings. Otherwise, I would suggest a DGX700. But, it is only one brightness and it will blind you in water that has much particulate floating in it.

I would really suggest to look at the OrcaTorch D710. Ignore their published specs. 3000 lumens is complete BS. But, it's about the same brightness as the DGX700 and it has multiple brightness settings, so you can turn it way down in turbid water.

All three use a 21700 battery and should have about the same burntime. The CX2 and D710 both use Luminus LEDs, but the OrcaTorch specs don't say which model. The *could* be the same one, in which case they probably offer about the brightness. The CX2 claims 1700 lumens. The D710 claims 1700 on High (and is pretty much the same as the DGX700 which only claims 700 lumens).

All that said, if you don't mind the extra length and fatness and you want the option for the (very nice) QRM system with a hard handle, then get the CX2.

If/when you ever need a real "primary" light, buy one then. There will probably be something even better out than the LX20+ by then.

Thanks, I'll check out those other options. The main goal is in fact to have a hard handle and the QRM system looks great. "fatness" doesn't bother me but I do get concerned if the length is too long. I'll probably be exclusively using with with a drysuit, and I can see that getting in the way.

My issue with a "real" primary light is my budget would effectively double at the least, and I'm not really sure if I'll ever need the extra light or burn time.

Thanks, I'll check out those other options. The main goal is in fact to have a hard handle and the QRM system looks great. "fatness" doesn't bother me but I do get concerned if the length is too long. I'll probably be exclusively using with with a drysuit, and I can see that getting in the way.

My issue with a "real" primary light is my budget would effectively double at the least, and I'm not really sure if I'll ever need the extra light or burn time.
One reason for a canister over a handheld when diving blue water is the tether. I have an LX20 on the bottom of Lake Erie and I know of several handhelds somewhere on the bottom of Lake Huron.
It isn't always about the burn time, sometimes it makes practical sense for the diving you are doing.

One reason for a canister over a handheld when diving blue water is the tether. I have an LX20 on the bottom of Lake Erie and I know of several handhelds somewhere on the bottom of Lake Huron.
It isn't always about the burn time, sometimes it makes practical sense for the diving you are doing.
Ah good advice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom