Dive rite cx2 Vs lx20+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like how bulky the CX2 is. It is noticeably longer and thicker in the middle than a DGX700 and D710.
Ah yeah, I just stopped by the LDS and saw one and completely agree. I'm definitely scratching that off the list. Also that's what she said.

Kinda feel the same with the lx20+... I can't see how either of these lights would be comfortable on a goodman handle, with my backup computer being on my left wrist. I guess the computer would be up a bit so might not interfere.

Any opinions on Big Blue lights? They had:
Which while thick, I overall liked the size. More reasonably priced for both the light and goodman. Maybe that's overkill for my needs, but they also had:

Ah yeah, I just stopped by the LDS and saw one and completely agree. I'm definitely scratching that off the list. Also that's what she said.

Kinda feel the same with the lx20+... I can't see how either of these lights would be comfortable on a goodman handle, with my backup computer being on my left wrist. I guess the computer would be up a bit so might not interfere.

Any opinions on Big Blue lights? They had:
Which while think, I overall liked the size. More reasonably priced for both the light and goodman. Maybe that's overkill for my needs, but they also had:

My shop is a Big Blue dealer. Other instructors at my shop use that TL3800 and are satisfied with it. But, I am not convinced that they really know what a GOOD light is like, otherwise they might not be so satisfied with it on cave dives. Could be wrong, though. I haven't used that light myself.

I recently got a VTL9000P-Max. It does a 2900 lumen spot beam. I have no complaints with the size of the light when it's on a hard Goodman handle. It's up high and forward enough to not be an issue, I don't think. Disclaimer: I've only done a couple of dives with mine so far. I intend to try it on some cave dives. If I don't like it, then I'm going to get an LX20+.

The 2900 spot seems good and seems to last a lot better before it dims than the 9000 does. Meaning, Big Blue says the 9000 flood is good for 3 hours. I tried it and after 2 hours it is pretty dim. The 2900 is supposed to last also last 3 hours (which obviously makes no sense). But, it was still pretty bright after 2 hours.

I think it really comes down to what you plan to use it for and whether you want or need constant output.

To me, it kinda sucks to buy and lug around a big, fat light just so it has enough battery to be really bright for 2 hours, but then tapers down to not-very-bright over the next 4 hours. If I am okay with 1000 lumens for the last 30 minutes of my dive, why do I need 3000 lumens in the first 30 minutes? If I need 3000 lumens, then why am I okay with only being able to get 1000 in the last part of my dive?

Anyway, if you want/need constant output, the LX20+ is IT, I think. And I don't think the size of it would be an issue on their hard Goodman QRM mount. But, if you want it as a light that is mostly going to be clipped off, with no hard Goodman, and not in use, then a DGX700 or something similar in size makes more sense.

Anyway, if you want/need constant output, the LX20+ is IT, I think. And I don't think the size of it would be an issue on their hard Goodman QRM mount. But, if you want it as a light that is mostly going to be clipped off, with no hard Goodman, and not in use, then a DGX700 or something similar in size makes more sense.
Thanks for the help! I definitely need the hard goodman (for class), so I'll strongly consider the LX20. I really liked the switch design.

Now that you've used it a bit how do you feel? I'm in the exact same debate with myself. The lumens + battery capacity + burn time between the two doesn't make sense to me.

I probably won't be doing caves for some time if ever. I mostly would be using it for NE wrecks in the 100' range where it can get dark. I don't need the soft ladle the LX comes with since I'll get a goodman. $550 vs $150 is probably the main point of debate for me.
Unfortunately I’m no longer a dive rite customer after this purchase.

To answer your immediate question, the light would work well for dark NE wrecks, however the qrm soft mount isn’t really good at all if you’re using it on your left hand as per DIR (it is a pain to clip/unclip when using your left hand to control buoyancy without blinding whoever is around you) <- I’ll be buying a Goodman.

The light itself works fine (although it is a bit bulky for recreational), however the big problem is that the QRM mount that is screwed in came loose after only a week of light recreational diving in warm calm waters. The result of this was that the spring loaded “ball” that keeps the light on/off popped out at some point. This also allows the light to randomly turn on at the slightest bump while your gear is on the boat (the support rep’s response to this was to “just flip the batteries”…while on a boat…?!?!?). Furthermore the qrm mount that is screwed in is 3d printed plastic. Obviously having your primary light fall off or come loose while on a decompression dive and/or in a cave is a deal breaker.

Dive rite support has been shockingly terrible, especially after reading about all the positives about them here and elsewhere. I’m not going to go into details for fear of my post being seen by the rep that has been in contact with me, but let’s just say the support experience alone is enough for me to not recommend this light, let alone the defect of the light itself. I’ll have to play ball with them because I can’t get this device refunded, and I’m not throwing away a $700 light. If I can remember I’ll update this post after I finish my support experience with them to see if they actually address the problem and refund me for my shipping/insurance costs.

Thanks for the help! I definitely need the hard goodman (for class), so I'll strongly consider the LX20. I really liked the switch design.

You may already know this, but just in case you don't - there is an older model that is an LX20, which is superceded by the LX20+. I think the only real difference is internal, with the LX20+ using new, brighter electronics - and having different burn time specs, I believe.

Anybody shopping for an LX20+ should be aware of this. If you find a "great deal" on an LX20, it might be priced "great" because it really IS an LX20, not an LX20+.

Also, I *think* the LX20 actually has a longer burn time than the LX20+ - because it's something like 1000 lumens on High, versus 1500. Less output translates to less battery consumption, in this case.

I recently got a VTL9000P-Max. It does a 2900 lumen spot beam. I have no complaints with the size of the light when it's on a hard Goodman handle. It's up high and forward enough to not be an issue, I don't think. Disclaimer: I've only done a couple of dives with mine so far. I intend to try it on some cave dives. If I don't like it, then I'm going to get an LX20+.

This thread is not about Big Blue lights, but since I posted the above, I will give a quick update on it.

I did 3 dives yesterday and today for a total time of just over 2 hours, using my VTL9000P-Max.

It started fully charged and I did not charge it at all over the weekend.

I only ran it using the Spot beam, on High.

At the start of the first dive, it seemed like a nice, bright spot, with a good narrow angle.

By the end of the 3rd dive, I found myself thinking, "that just doesn't seem very bright".

I guess I should have charged it Saturday night, but I wanted to see how it would do, and I only used it for 90 minutes on Saturday. With Big Blue telling me it should run at 9000 lumens for 3 hours, I figured I still had an easy 2 hours of good light left after Saturday without recharging it.

After the first dive with it today, I parked it and used my DGX700 for my 2nd dive of the day. 73 minutes and the DGX700 was still looking pretty good.

Regarding comfort, I was diving dry with Ultima dry glove rings on my suit. The BB light was not comfortable. I really should have taken the time to charge it AND adjust the handle Saturday evening. It was adjusted to fit me with no gloves and it just wouldn't slide up my hand far enough with dry gloves on - even though my gloves are thin.

I didn't notice the light hitting my dry glove rings, but I can't say how it would have been if I could fit it further onto my hand.

Regardless, I think I'll be ordering an LX20+ this week...

Unfortunately I’m no longer a dive rite customer after this purchase
<<>>
Dive rite support has been shockingly terrible, especially after reading about all the positives about them here and elsewhere. I’m not going to go into details for fear of my post being seen by the rep that has been in contact with me, but let’s just say the support experience alone is enough for me to not recommend this light, let alone the defect of the light itself. I’ll have to play ball with them because I can’t get this device refunded, and I’m not throwing away a $700 light.
<<>>

I found DR customer service to be good. Steve - DR - responded quickly not my queries and with a day or so I had a new CR2 light in hand

I would buy from DR without hesitation.

I found DR customer service to be good. Steve - DR - responded quickly not my queries and with a day or so I had a new CR2 light in hand

I would buy from DR without hesitation.
Wish I had that experience; did they have you eat the shipping/insurance cost to ship them the defective item? Any chance you can DM me Steve’s contact so I can try that way? Maybe I just have a bad rep…

Who at Dive Rite are you talking to?

Back
Top Bottom