Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strong East wind 15-20kts by the afternoon. 3 dives...
#1 830am 30fsw 4-6'viz
#2 1030am 23fsw 2-3'viz
#3 1pm 25fsw 1-2'viz
Flat seas in the morn by noon picked up 1' with a light chop
saw lots of bait fish and spanish macks, and a good amount of
drift algae. Looks like theirs some new exposed areas that
were once covered with silt earlier in the year..
Finds: The usual.. :cool2: :mooner:

Conditions today 09/03 were quite good. East winds early were 5 kn, but increased to 10 kn by afternoon. Swell from the South appears to be bringing in clean water, and water conditions and viz improved as the day progressed. Some good finds were made, with a 5+ inch green/brown Meg taking the prize on the Hammerhead today.

Date 9/4/11
Where Service Club
Time 8:45 am
Winds ESE 5+
Seas 2'-3'
Water Temp 86
Vis 0-1'+ Some vis at the reef line and got worst the farther west I went turned the dive at 23'
Finds 6 small teeth picked up coming back in

09-03-11 and 09-04-11 Saturday and Sunday

We did multiple dives from boat from about the main beach down to the pier. Most dives
were in the 27-30 ft depth range. Temps were consistently at 85F. Viz was very acceptable
saturday at about 8 ft or so but dropped off for sundays dives.Two 2 inch megs were found
on the first day with many smaller teeth. The seas were great on saturday but kicked up a bit
on sunday. Viz also fell off quite a bit on sunday. For the more determined it was just enough to
fossil but not much more. Low tide was at 1:30 on sunday which probably did not help matters.
Saturday was definitely the better of the two days !

north jetty.jpgo vis yesterday surf high boneyard getting scrubbed good

9/11/11
Service Club
9:00 am
Seas <1'
Wind Calm
Water Temp 85
Vis 1'-2' at the sandbar went to 6" at the base of the sandbar and got worst the farther west I went
got to 21' and came back in

Did 3 dives today... Main area was Alhambra (in kayak) to south of Alhambra (more towards service park). Hit a wide area in attempt to see what storm produced/changed...

Dive 1 (10am)/Dive 2 (12'ish)... Viz was really hit or miss (patchy). Would say 2-6 ft (but it was dark... light was not coming to the bottom like normal... flashlight really helped!). Also, the areas I tend to have great luck in had some minor silt on them (not there 2 weeks ago). It is diveable (sp?) but I found about 1/3 of what I normally do. Areas without silt didn't produce anything but small stuff. Maybe was missing spots but silt was a factor.

Dive 3: 2:30 pm'ish: Did straight out Alhambra (line up with condos). Found nothing. Went about 3/4 mile out to mile and came back in... viz was worse (later in day, so expected). 6inches to 3 ft viz.

If beach diving, go more south. If boat/kayak diving, patchy conditions but can do it. Tomorrow I am hitting south Venice based on reports I heard today.

Swell: zero to 1ft. wind (minor, on-shore). Water temp 81?

Viz report for Fri the 16th.! Gettin better every day! Today we hit some hard bottom just north of the pier. (by the way, saw you out there in your yak dive4lifesw you were south of me about 1/2-3/4 mi.) We had decent viz all day. noticed water temp a few degrees cooler than about a week and a half ago. Water temp 80-82. 2 long dives. #1 830 20-25' 4-5' viz. #2 1130 16-21' 4-6' viz. Overall great day. lots of smalls, Whale ear bone, and about 15-20 megs were found between 3 divers. some of the nicer stuff being, a few nice 1-1/2" makos, super nice 1-1/2" Hemi, and an all white with brown root bull shark tooth!:D Pics Soon to follow! :cool2:

Report for Sat the 17th. Did some fossil diving just south of Venice. Temps the same, Viz actually was worse.. Around 930 am we had about 2-4' @28' and at 1130 we had about 4-5'. Overall tho found some nice stuff. 4" er ,a few 3's, and some partials, and all 4 divers found a nice hemi! :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom