Dive operator age limits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just turned 70, so far, so good.

I did take a training course last December when I was just 69. I did need a RSTC Medical Examiner's Evaluation Form to take the course.

I'm considering traveliing with a RSTC form in the future, just to make sure. Does anyone know how long a form is valid, one year?

It might be helpful for us to start up a list of operators who do discriminate on the basis of age as well as a list of operators who welcome us "old farts".
Agreed. When I read the piece in Alert Diver, I asked our travel agent whether the company kept track of operators who barred divers based on age. She hadn't heard of any, but said that the company will begin tracking it. The article was vague enough that it may not actually be happening much. We routinely fill out health forms, but they don't seem especially focused on age. I do resent the pregnancy questions . . . :wink:

have never used an amended or "re-dated" Dr letter. I just keep it handy in Dropbox in case I'm on a trip and the requirement gets "sprung" on me.
Sorry, that's not how I read your mention of the doctor's letter. If you've never used it with the amended date, no issue, and i apologize.
And I believe that age does play a part on that RSTC form. I think 45 comes into play.
Yes, although in the old version we dealt with on that Maldives trip it was easier to work around.
To get back on topic.....this whole age discrimination thing is worrisome and I'm sure that it's concerning to all of us "older" divers that plan to continue to dive for many years to come. It might be helpful for us to start up a list of operators who do discriminate on the basis of age as well as a list of operators who welcome us "old farts".
I agree 100%. However, I'm not going to put on the list anybody who just wants a copy of my signed medical; I'm pretty sure my PCP knows more about my health than some arbitrary dive operation. But if they say I'm too old (whether on not they've seen my signed medical) and can't dive with them -- especially if they don't mention this before I arrive halfway around the world to dive with them -- then they will definitely go on the avoid this operator list. However, I have not encountered anybody like that. At most, so far, they just want the doc's signature.

I just turned 70, so far, so good.

I did take a training course last December when I was just 69. I did need a RSTC Medical Examiner's Evaluation Form to take the course.

I'm considering traveliing with a RSTC form in the future, just to make sure. Does anyone know how long a form is valid, one year?
Yes, one year, but some operators would like to make that 6 months. They better tell me this before I arrive with my within-one-year signed form.
And then there is Australia, which has its own rules and forms and requirements. You need one of their doc's exams and signatures.

Both Florida and the Caribbean. I call ahead before I get on the plane. The replies are interesting.
Interesting. I'm also 82, have not been turned away from a dive boat anywhere. Just returned from 10 days on a boat in Thailand.
Super glad to hear that you’re still diving. I’m re-starting this week aged 67. I was hoping I might be able to dive to 75!

I wish there was a SB sub forum dedicated to old farts. There’s so much we need to share😂

I wish there was a SB sub forum dedicated to old farts. There’s so much we need to share😂
Though 50 is not very old

8.1% >70

Look. I did not start this side discussion about the ethics of me using an old letter from a dead guy or you and your entire group conspiring to lie on the medical form on your Maldives trip. You did. I have never used an amended or "re-dated" Dr letter. I just keep it handy in Dropbox in case I'm on a trip and the requirement gets "sprung" on me.

And I believe that age does play a part on that RSTC form. I think 45 comes into play.

Bottom line is maybe we both need to look more closely at our own glass houses before throwing rocks.

To get back on topic.....this whole age discrimination thing is worrisome and I'm sure that it's concerning to all of us "older" divers that plan to continue to dive for many years to come. It might be helpful for us to start up a list of operators who do discriminate on the basis of age as well as a list of operators who welcome us "old farts".
The other side of this is operators deciding what is acceptable risk for us. No question that as we get older we are not as secure in life as when we were younger. On the other hand we know we are not going to live forever and live that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom