Dive log signatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A computer log tells little to nothing, and because you have the computer in your possession, is no proof that the information on it, was logged by you.
The OP said (6 years ago) that the dive log was on the iPhone. So, I’m assuming some sort of logging app, not just the log on the DC. Most logging apps allow you to record every bit of info you mentioned, and then some.
One day, you'll know exactly how important a proper log book is, when the operator won't let you in the water without it.
Has that ever actually happened?

What is this "logbook" thing of which you speak?

OMMOHY

I find that reminding them I'm a paying guest stops this. The one time an operator insisted I polity informed them my fee was $US1,000 per dive (they provided a guide).
I’ve updated my fee to US$2,500 per dive since 2016.

What is this "logbook" thing of which you speak?
That would be these

full

The OP said (6 years ago) that the dive log was on the iPhone. So, I’m assuming some sort of logging app, not just the log on the DC. Most logging apps allow you to record every bit of info you mentioned, and then some.

Has that ever actually happened?
I've seen it happen in Morehead City NC, at Discovery. It was actually comical to watch the antics of this guy trying to register for a charter with no log records.

I've been asked number of dives I've done, and voluntarily e-mailed my Excel log to my IDC Course Director (to become an instructor) and to the Instructor I did Divemaster with.

Never have I ever has somebody sign a log. The original YMCA logbook I got in 1987 didn't, as I recall, have a spot for somebody to sign.

More recently, I self-certified to be a Dry Suit Instructor (and a few others). For this, I provided PADI with snippets from the Excel sheet showing logged dives doing the various specialties. They never raised an eyebrow.

Signatures, though? Nope.
Edit: I wonder if you get looked at more closely if you barely hit the minimum. E.g., if you need X dives to take the Seaweed Rescue and Rehabilitation and you only have X+1 dives you claim to have logged you'll get looked at more closely than if you have 10X dives logged.

I've seen it happen in Morehead City NC, at Discovery. It was actually comical to watch the antics of this guy trying to register for a charter with no log records.
Interesting. I've only previously heard of the fear of this happening. I've never heard of a first person account until now. I don't think it's typical, and I expect another charter would probably have no issue. Depending, perhaps, on the nature of the dive.
Edit: I wonder if you get looked at more closely if you barely hit the minimum. E.g., if you need X dives to take the Seaweed Rescue and Rehabilitation and you only have X+1 dives you claim to have logged you'll get looked at more closely than if you have 10X dives logged.
That's a possibility for courses, and does make sense to me. Divers with just the bare minimum probably could get closer scrutiny for certain courses. No one has ever asked to see my log. I have been asked for my total dive count, but that's it. In the one case where it mattered, the count was well over the minimum required.

, if you need X dives to take the Seaweed Rescue and Rehabilitation and you only have X+1 dives you claim to have logged you'll get looked at more closely than if you have 10X dives logged.
Which agency offers the best Seaweed Rescue and Rehabilitation cert? Is it a cool looking card?

OMMOHY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom