Dive log signatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I come from a career in which everything was logged. Every phone call, every interaction with another agency or person. Our log was a legal document that could (and has been) used in court or in an investigation. (Our logs for the morning of September 11th 2001 were used (seized) by the 9/11 Commission in their investigation as an example.)

To a large extent, I have carried over that philosophy to my Dive Logs. For several years, I completed a paper log. Then, I transitioned to an iPad/iPhone app called "Dive Log", and I recently got both a Shearwater Teric and a PERDIX AI and now I am able to join the 21st Century and download either into the Shearwater cloud Log or into Dive Log directly from my dive computers via Blue Tooth.

I still log every dive (yes, including pool dives) and I have been asked both how many dives and when was my last one. At least one LOB that I have been on tells you to bring your "Log Book" up when you check in the first night in case they want to take a look at it. IIRC, they did look at it the first trip I have done with them, but not the last few.

Interesting. I've only previously heard of the fear of this happening. I've never heard of a first person account until now. I don't think it's typical, and I expect another charter would probably have no issue. Depending, perhaps, on the nature of the dive.

That's a possibility for courses, and does make sense to me. Divers with just the bare minimum probably could get closer scrutiny for certain courses. No one has ever asked to see my log. I have been asked for my total dive count, but that's it. In the one case where it mattered, the count was well over the minimum required.
Keep in mind, this is open ocean, 30 miles out, no sight of land, lots of sand tiger sharks (raggies) on the wrecks.

Happy New Year,

Rose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom