Dive log signatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a paper log and will collect a signature if convenient (and not awkward) for all parties. The signature request is also an indicator that I enjoyed the experience and that I'll be dropping a tip in their tip bucket. Everybody wins.

Wow, 6 year old thread resurrected! :)
I enjoy doing a paper log, writing my personalized notes about navigational features, marine life, other memorable events/details. I have never asked for a buddy signature, however, I have been asked by others to sign their logs and of course, I respect that and always oblige. If this is a part of their thing that makes diving experience more enjoyable then great.
I do like to collect stamps from various dive shops. Of course, it is not required and by no means validates the number of dives for scuba police. While a few shops asked for a ”total” number of dives on their intake questionnaire, I have never been asked to show my log.
There was one lady on the last dive trip that collected patches from all the dive places she went and sewed them to her dive bag. That sounded cool, equated in my head to my liking collecting the stamps :)
A few years back, everyone In our group was asked to show AOW or deep cert card, otherwise they were not going to take us deeper than 60 ft. That was different. However, never been asked about the log - it is more for personal use and enjoyment.

the log book is like your diving diary, is more for your own records, dive information , and collection of shop stamps ! A keep sake album

I have never been asked to show my log.
Same here.... They just say " I see your pictures on ScubaBoard "

I've never been asked to show my log book. But I am an obsessive compulsive logger, signature-obtainer, stamp stamper, and documenter of all parts of each dive, including species seen, weighting, etc.
I enjoy reviewing my dives and it assists me in predicting my weighting for future dives.

I'm with Charles2, wish I would have kept a log book from day one. Like so many so others, I've never been asked for one, and rarely do I ever one except with open water divers finishing up their certification. I believe I ditched mine in the beginning because I didn't want to look like a newbie in front of the veteran divers. After reading everyone's comments I'm compelled to actually start a new dive log going forward. I'm planning a two-month stay down on Cozumel starting in January, the perfect place to begin. I would appreciate any recommendations on a durable well-designed dive logbook? Happy Bubbles, Dennis
A "durable well-designed dive logbook"? So I assume you mean paper? For you--an experienced diver--I recommend a plain spiral-bound notebook. If you're diving the same place for two months, you're not going to need to keep track of how much lead you carried, what suit you wore, etc., or much else in the way of "data." Sure, you want to record the fact that you did a dive on such and such date. But moreover, you may want blank space to keep more of a diary, describing the dive sites themselves and things of note, such as new people you met, new things you saw, a new dive operator you might have tried out, and so forth.

Thank You Lorenzoid, That makes good sense. I'm also a private swimming instructor and for years have been using a waterproof notebook for tracking students. I'm planning on bringing it out during the surface intervals, the perfect time for gathering all the pertinent information. Thanks Again, Dennis

I like that Covediver, "A FRIENDLY GESTURE"

I never ask signatures. Not from my buddy, not from my dive master, not from my instructor. I don't carry my paper log book with on dives. Log my dives with my computer and when I have a few and feel like it, I copy them in my paper log book.

I did not bring my paper log book with me yesterday. I assumed with all the various ways of logging dives it wasnt hugely important. I obviously had my dive computer which got a very accurate dive profile. I also had my iPhone with "Dive Log" on it. I figured the paper log book was mostly to be used as a student diver.

When we were on our way back, the guy I had buddied up with started filling out his paper log book. He then had the Divemaster sign it.

So my question is, is this important to do? I do expect to eventually move up the certification chain. Do I need to have a dive log signed by the divemaster for it to be accepted for advanced certification?
TheHuth,

There is certainly nothing wrong with the concept.

I use a paper log, one thick book, not only logs my dives, but I can go back to the very beginning and know what I wore for kit on every dive, along with all the details relating to the dive, from entry to exit.

All the who, what, where, when, how and why's.

I've always been of the opinion, if you have no record of it, you can't prove you ever did it.

A computer log tells little to nothing, and because you have the computer in your possession, is no proof that the information on it, was logged by you.

One day, you'll know exactly how important a proper log book is, when the operator won't let you in the water without it.

My paper log book has never failed me. I am a technical diver, and I have dived around the world!

Rose.

Back
Top Bottom