Dive log signatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had my logbook looked at a couple times to see if I had prereq number of dives (MSD and DM for two). I keep a log now for my own amusement. If my buddy wants me to sign his/hers, then I ask them to sign mine. Otherwise I do not usually ask them to sign. Once in a while I want to remember their names and I am awful at remembering names so the log helps.

In my logbook is a listing on a page of all the tank/wetsuit/weightings I have used. Helps when traveling and guessing how much weight to use. There are well over 20 combinations.

I carry only a few pages of the logbook with me. Also have a spreadsheet version which is helpful in looking up information.

There are a zillion dive log threads. Nothing anywhere that I know of says log books have to be signed at all (what about solo dives?), let alone signed by a DM. Like many others, I have never been asked to show the book--for anything, including the Rescue Course (back then with PADI 20 dives were required) and even for the DM course. Then there are those who log dives electronically from their DCs-- no signatures there. But in case someone asks for doing the course I guess it never hurts to accumulate all you can? There are those who will point out that log book proof is secondary to the fact that those scrutinizing how you dive will see for themselves anyway.

There are a zillion dive log threads. Nothing anywhere that I know of says log books have to be signed at all (what about solo dives?), let alone signed by a DM. . . .

Sure, but many of those pre-printed log book sheets sold in dive shops have a space labeled something like "Divemaster/Buddy Signature." So it seems natural that new divers continue to ask. Granted, those pre-printed sheets have all kinds of spaces that a diver might choose not to fill in. This is why I print my own. Not to head off onto a topic covered in many of those "zillion dive log threads," but I prefer a paper log book over an electronic one.

I personally don't keep a paper dive log. I found that it was too much of a hassle.. I connect my dive computer to my computer and import my dives into Subsurface. I can then see a chart with the depth. tank pressure, water temperature, time, etc throughout the entire dive. Much better than a paper log where you write down how deep you were, starting/ending pressure, water temp, etc.

Sure, but many of those pre-printed log book sheets sold in dive shops have a space labeled something like "Divemaster/Buddy Signature." So it seems natural that new divers continue to ask. Granted, those pre-printed sheets have all kinds of spaces that a diver might choose not to fill in. This is why I print my own.
I print my own sheets too but still kept the space for a signature. I don't try to get one every time, though - only if I dove with a new buddy, DM, boat, etc and that too just the first time. I don't even log every dive on paper; basically, collecting different signatures, photos, stamps, stickers and whatnot like a scrap book.
My main log is a Google spreadsheet where I keep tons of details of each and every dive. I primarily use it from my computer but it's sync'd to my phone in case I need to show someone. The last trip we took, I printed out the sheet and took it with me in case someone asked for it.

I have only ever bothered with training dives, and not even always the.

I record my buddy's name, that's good enough for me. Probably 75% have been with my son anyway.

I always try to get a sticker and a signature if I can. It's also a good place for email address, phone numbers. The log book is for me. When I am sitting in my rocking chair (not that far away) I can remember special dives.
In 50 years, I can't remember anyone asking for my log book.

I personally don't keep a paper dive log. I found that it was too much of a hassle.. I connect my dive computer to my computer and import my dives into Subsurface. I can then see a chart with the depth. tank pressure, water temperature, time, etc throughout the entire dive. Much better than a paper log where you write down how deep you were, starting/ending pressure, water temp, etc.
Paper for me. Computer too much of a hassle. You'd have to know how to connect your DC to your PC, what importing means and what a Subsurface is. I find no hassle at all to write down depth, pressure, temp. viz, et al by just remembering a couple of things then writing them on a piece of paper in the car. But, I'm just yanking your chain a bit--I'm sure it is really less of a hassle using the computer method. Then again, we always have to keep these log threads going....

my paper log books are in a Bahamian landfill. I keep a printout of the master list showing specifics dates location depth runtime gas mix for all my dives they get printed front and back on one page in text so small if a divemaster wanted to read it he would need a magnifying glass. I also carry the detailed profiles of my last 8 or so dives in my logbook if anyone asks for them. When I went to do my tech training I printed the master list and gave a copy to the instructor and he was fine with that no signatures on it at all.

I keep a log because it's useful to look back to remind myself of particular dives. They're also useful when planning future dives.

Additionally, I'm responsible for the training I sign-off. My defence would be compromised if I didn't keep a record of lessons, both successfully signed-off or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom