Dive log signatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I did not bring my paper log book with me yesterday. I assumed with all the various ways of logging dives it wasnt hugely important. I obviously had my dive computer which got a very accurate dive profile. I also had my iPhone with "Dive Log" on it. I figured the paper log book was mostly to be used as a student diver.

When we were on our way back, the guy I had buddied up with started filling out his paper log book. He then had the Divemaster sign it.

So my question is, is this important to do? I do expect to eventually move up the certification chain. Do I need to have a dive log signed by the divemaster for it to be accepted for advanced certification?

When we were on our way back, the guy I had buddied up with started filling out his paper log book. He then had the Divemaster sign it.
Huh? Weird. I ask my buddy to sign my log entries. After all, that's the person I dived with. However, if I dive with a dive center I like to have the dive center's stamp in my log. No rational reason for that, though, just sentimental reasons.

Do I need to have a dive log signed by the divemaster for it to be accepted for advanced certification?
Not in my part of the world.

I've never needed a signature on my log entries to have them approved for later certs. But I still like to have my log entries signed by my buddy. Sometimes that doesn't happen, but I don't sweat it.

Some people like getting signatures in their log books but like the log book itself, they aren't required to prove you went on a dive. I myself never have someone sign my log with the exception of training dives (that I actually remember to log)

i like to use a dive log and have dive buddies sign it and as mentioned above, i get the divemasters and stamps from the charters i go on for prosperity and personal enjoyment.

Nobody will care... It's pretty damn easy to tell if one is ready for further training... If an instructor is unable to do that, I'm glad I won't train with him...

Some places will ask how many dives you've done to dive with them... but I'm not aware of many that will want to see signatures. Not saying they're not there, but they don't seem to be the norm.

Agree with the above. No need for signatures at all. I've rarely had anyone look at it -- maybe they did for DM training and maybe once or twice just recreationally. I mostly keep it for my own satisfaction and to remember what gear I took under what conditions.

In almost 50 years of diving, I have never been asked for a log book. I do wish that I had kept one from the very first dive, because there are some places, people, things, and dates for which I would like to have a better record than the one in my memory.

I have also never been asked for a logbook. When I did my OW I had a logbook provided by the dive centre, and they wanted me to complete it after each dive. I never kept it after that and have since gone through a lot of further courses.

I have always uploaded my computer logs to a software dive logging package, from three successive dive computers now, and that's always been enough if asked for proof of number of dives or frequency/recent diving. It sync's to my phone so I can show it digitally if asked.

When I teach or lead dives I almost always get asked by the students to sign their logbooks, but I keep my own student records, and that is what I use for certification - not their own logbooks.

Whilst you are starting out I would suggest you keep something, either paper or digital, because this is the best way to keep track of weight and tank/exposure suit combinations, air consumption and so on. This can be very useful to refer back to as you progress, and you will be surprised how you slowly improve on SAC rate and drop weights.

So do logbook signatures matter, no, are logbooks useful? - yes very.

Have fun, dive safe, oh - and welcome to scuba board :)

Phil

Last edited:
I keep a log book, but rarely do I have anyone else sign it. If I'm boat diving and they have a sticker or stamp, I'll put that in it. Prior to turning pro, I always had dive buddies / instructors / guides sign mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom