Dive Knife recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DGX Sharp Cut (like a Trilobyte, but with ceramic blades)

Agree. I love my Trilobyte, and the blade is slow to rust substantially even with salt water exposure, but it does, and I'm one of those people who doesn't like fiddling with gear (e.g.: changing blades, and I'm not smearing on protectants, either). Link to DGX Sharp Cut.

For my knife, I went through 2 'stainless' (Bwah-hah-hah!!!) and 1 allegedly titanium-coated (ditto) Black Friday knife, all of which rusted, before I decided I'd save a lot of money by buying one of those 'expensive' titanium or Spyderco H-1 steel (warning: not all Sypderco's use H1) knives. I settled on a Spyderco Salt 1 with a serrated blade, and I'm happy with it. That said, it didn't come with any kind of holster to attach to a BCD, and if my BCD didn't have a little extra pocket, that might be annoying.

DGX has a $29 Titanium Tek Knife with waistband sheath that I'd look at if I were in the market now.

Richard.

P.S.: I like knives where I can hit Bonaire or a live-aboard & get > 20 dives for a week, and not bother specifically washing the knife till the end of the trip, and it still doesn't rust.

Last edited:
Basic rule of knives is don't take things into the water you will be upset about losing.

I learned that only it was a basic rule of diving.

Bob

Ebay is your friend. Look for a Wenoka Blackie Collins Sea Style knife. 88XX series is the larger and preferred blade. Can be had in prying tool and well as several serrated, pointed styles. Most come with line cutter options. Look and bid on what you like. A complete unit with sheath should be under $50.

Here's one for a Buy it Now price of $15.

Wenoka 8835 Blackie Collins Dive Knife Scuba Diving Stainless Steel Blade

Those DGX with ceramic blades seem amazing. Now I'm sad I didn't order them when I had the chance :(

I have been using Subacqua folding knife minimalist stanley steel, all dive in saltwater more than 5 year and no rust at all and are very cheap only €8 the problem is Spain manufacturer, My other is Spyderco H-1 salt series but are expensive

I like my mini Fogcutter, but I have never had to use it. I have it mounted to my BCD.

Attachments

• KN1254.jpg
    KN1254.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 54
I only have two purposes for a knife. 1) if I get caught in monofilament again or 2) if attacked by a shark so I can stab my dive buddy and swim like hell! :)

Don't stab. Slice. It's easier to keep the knife. :D

Benchmade 7 hook line cutter (left shoulder strap)
Titanium shears (right waist belt)
Spyderco GB31SYL Enugg Sheepfoot 2.75" H1 Serrated Blade (left waist belt)

I would buy all again.

GJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom