Dive Knife recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep a blunt tip knife shaped to left inner lower leg and EMT shears on bc shoulder strap. One high one low. If legs get tangled I can get to the shears and for some reason I am tangled high I can reach down for the knife. I also have a life hammer with seatbelt cutter in bc pocket. We deal with one or two cars in the water a year so it's good to have.

I buy the cheap knives on Black Friday sales. Silicone spray the blade periodically and just wash the it still on the BCD. Same thing goes for my line cutter. Ceramic blade sound pretty nice, haven't owned one yet. My BFK is semi retired, it is great multi-tool, hammer, probe, pry bar and if you hack at something long enough, a knife.

Basic rule of knives is don't take things into the water you will be upset about losing. I have a collection of knives picked up every season off the bottom. I consider them semi disposable. If it gets really tacky looking with corrosion, a little steel wool and some more silicon spray.

Depends on what you're going to use the knife for. Cutting line? Spearing flatfish? Prying scallops off rocks? Killing off the fish sitting on your spear?
I only have two purposes for a knife. 1) if I get caught in monofilament again or 2) if attacked by a shark so I can stab my dive buddy and swim like hell! :)

I've never used my leg-strapped basic knife--though somehow lost it out of the holster once (now it is secured by fishing line). I've shore dived all over Eastern US besides Nova Scotia--including FL panhandle and around the NY area, RI, Mass., CT., NJ. & more.
Where are you guys diving that you need a knife for fishing line?

I've never used my leg-strapped basic knife--though somehow lost it out of the holster once (now it is secured by fishing line). I've shore dived all over Eastern US besides Nova Scotia--including FL panhandle and around the NY area, RI, Mass., CT., NJ. & more.

Got fishing line around my manifold once, In 12 years of diving.

I
I'm not sure the exact location - we were on a barge about 5 miles off shore in Orange Beach, Alabama. My brother lives there and he later told me that particular location is a very popular fishing spot. It was actually marked on his chart plotter as a fishing spot.

I went the expensive route bc I'm dumb- but I got the Halcyon Hknife and I love it . It's small, out of the way,easy grip,simple sheath, no buttons, releases, or straps, nothing to break. Everything I need and nothing I don't.
I heard there was a $30 SS copy around also.

That said, a simple cheapy steak knife (with tip cut off) will work just a good. And you can get a 6pack at Walmart in case you accidently drop it & lose it.

But mine is titanium :cool:

And actually forgot I had it in my carry on flyin back from Mexico, what a headache that was :facepalm:

Whatever knife you get, don't forget to put in in your checked bag :cheers:

2nd the trilobite EZ cutter thing for most instances. I have one and I have it attached to my dive computer on my wrist. My dive buddy/SO has his on a nylon strap on BC on left shoulder.

It WILL rust though so rinse and dry.....but easy to get to, replaceable blade, and you shouldn't be able to accidentally do some (or too much) damage to your gear if you miss your mark.

I'm not sure the exact location - we were on a barge about 5 miles off shore in Orange Beach, Alabama. My brother lives there and he later told me that particular location is a very popular fishing spot. It was actually marked on his chart plotter as a fishing spot.
I was half kidding about asking where everyone dives with all that fishing line. I know there are many places. I have dived a number or wrecks off the FL panhandle and a couple off AL and haven't seen any line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom