Dive Knife recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using a UK Remora dive knife for over 20 years. It has held up remarkably well, is a very good line cutter and is handy for other tasks in a pinch. Compact without being too small and has a range of mounting options. While I have used many other dive knifes over the past 50 years, the Remora has proved to be my favorite of all.

BTW I would recommend a blunt tip for whatever dive knife you decide to buy and avoid a pointed tip.

All my cutting devices came from this page:

Cutting Tools | Dive Gear Express®

Titanium EMT shears
DGX Sharp Cut (like a Trilobyte, but with ceramic blades)
Titanium knife

And a sheath from here that won't let the shears fall out, like the DIR sheath did with my first shears.

MSM Shear Pouch - MIL-SPEC MONKEY STORE

My current shears are about 2 years old now and only have a little rust.

$7 shears, an $8 MSM pouch, and a $20 Sharp Cut. I carry them on every dive and it's usually all I would ever need.

Trilobite, trilobite, trilobite.

And I dive with that scubapro titanium knife. It's small and stays out of the way

Depends on what you're going to use the knife for. Cutting line? Spearing flatfish? Prying scallops off rocks? Killing off the fish sitting on your spear?

A diving knife is a multitool. The optimal type and design depends on its intended use. I have a large one (15cm blade) strapped to my inner left calf, a small one (5cm blade) on my waistband and, for good measures, a trilobite on my left shoulder strap. The large knife is my multi-tool, the small one is for killing off the fish I've harvested, and the trilobite is in case I get tangled in fishing line or I have to cut the suit and/or harness of a victim in a rescue situation.

For the type of diving I do, I'd recommend a decent-size blade (at least 10cm, preferably closer to 15cm) as the first knife. Other people dive differently and may not need anything but a broken off steak knife, or a single trilobite.

Keep in mind that if you are entangled, you very likely can't get a knife out from a leg holder, or at least without a fair bit of movement that might tangle you up even worse. This is why knives tend to be shorter now, and stored on the belt or higher, on the arm, upper arm, shoulder straps, etc. Even if you have a knife, those shielded line cutters are too good not to have one: extremely hard to hurt yourself, very easy to remove and to stow, and perfectly designed for cutting line. I have used my line cutter more than 20x, my knife has only been used on dry land.

If you really want a knife (BFK) on your leg, please be sure you can get it out and put it back without doing damage to your suit, your leg, or both. In a drysuit withdrysuit gloves, I would fail this 100%, if I didn't already drop the knife.

trauma shears, just the cheap ones so they're disposable. You can get them at EMS supply for like $2 each. When they rust, recycle them and get a new one.
That's cutting tool #1.

Cutting tool #2 should be a Z-knife/safety cutter of some sort. Trilobites are popular, but they do need blade replacement and I don't like them nearly as much as I like my benchmade which is properly badass and holds up quite well.
https://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-BL...F8&qid=1492589685&sr=8-1&keywords=benchmade+7

If you really want a knife (BFK) on your leg, please be sure you can get it out and put it back without doing damage to your suit, your leg, or both. In a drysuit withdrysuit gloves, I would fail this 100%, if I didn't already drop the knife.
Practice, practice, practice. And perhaps an industrial-size patch kit :)

I am a fan of the old BFK's, but I don't want it on my leg, I have been tangled a few times that a knife on my leg would have been no help. What ever you get mount it to so it can be easily reached with both hands.

Trilobite and the Swiss Tech Micro Max tool have been all I've needed for a long time unless carving a pumpkin underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom