Dive Knife recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry the Spyderco Enuff Salt in H1 on my bcd (zip ties). It has been with me on about 100 dives. The dive masters and guides like the knife too when they ask about it. šŸ‘
This one is way overpriced. I have one of the [Ocean] Salt series folder (forgot the exact name), yellow handle, cost me just $75 back then.

I suggest this one. I don't have one, but I still suggest it.

:rofl3: I have a couple of Randall knives. Never had any need for something like that during a diveā€¦

I suggest this one. I don't have one, but I still suggest it.

Meh. Rambo III Knife

One on each leg of course.

Also, I donā€™t want one of those ā€œJames Bondā€ looking leg strapped sword.
All the way with BFK a sword strapped to the leg or on the belt. That's the divers way, a divers look. How many times have I pried bashed or crashed my way through the wildeness and my good mates surge and swell around wrecks through outcrops without fingerholds and debilitating currents over sand. With a serrated bit for those 2 pieces of fishing line you will probably never be captured by. It's divin, not whittlin

All the way with BFK a sword strapped to the leg or on the belt. That's the divers way, a divers look. How many times have I pried bashed or crashed my way through the wildeness and my good mates surge and swell around wrecks through outcrops without fingerholds and debilitating currents over sand. With a serrated bit for those 2 pieces of fishing line you will probably never be captured by. It's divin, not whittlin
Can probably cut a hole to get out of that wreck if everything goes wrong šŸ˜‚

Itā€™s great for cutting chorizo during the surface interval though.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy yummy yummy chorizo in my tummy mmmmmmmmmmmmm

220px-Chorizos_P6021974.jpg

I have nothing but good things to say about my NRS pilot knife.

Keep in mind that if you are entangled, you very likely can't get a knife out from a leg holder, or at least without a fair bit of movement that might tangle you up even worse. This is why knives tend to be shorter now, and stored on the belt or higher, on the arm, upper arm, shoulder straps, etc. Even if you have a knife, those shielded line cutters are too good not to have one: extremely hard to hurt yourself, very easy to remove and to stow, and perfectly designed for cutting line. I have used my line cutter more than 20x, my knife has only been used on dry land.

If you really want a knife (BFK) on your leg, please be sure you can get it out and put it back without doing damage to your suit, your leg, or both. In a drysuit withdrysuit gloves, I would fail this 100%, if I didn't already drop the knife.
I have been diving since 1959, and always have a leg dive knife. Iā€™ve been entangled in fishing line many, many times and have been able to access my knife every single time on my leg. I wear it on the outside of my right leg. It is a Wenoka dive knife, with a line cutter on the blade along with a serrated edge. I use it almost very dive. This style has a button keeper which engages whenever the knife is put into the sheath. Push the button while removing the knife, and itā€™s a one-handed operation. It is beautifully designed, and Iā€™ve been using it for over 30 years.

SeaRat

I've never used my leg-strapped basic knife--though somehow lost it out of the holster once (now it is secured by fishing line). I've shore dived all over Eastern US besides Nova Scotia--including FL panhandle and around the NY area, RI, Mass., CT., NJ. & more.
Where are you guys diving that you need a knife for fishing line?
I dive in Oregon rivers, where lots of fishermen donā€™t know to use bobbers instead of lead sinkers. Thereā€™s a lot of monofilament line in the Clackamas River at High Rocks.

SeaRat

I have nothing but good things to say about my NRS pilot knife.
The 420 SS? Their website says:
  • An excellent knife for freshwater boating and rescue. For saltwater use, choose the NRS Titanium Pilot Knife.

Back
Top Bottom