Dive hoods with face cover?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbagump

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been volunteering at a local aquarium and every once in a while I have to dive into a rather large moon-jelly tank to tidy up. The aquarium provides my air but I use my own exposure protection to cover just about every part of my body from getting stung. No matter how careful I am I always seem to get one of the little devil's detached tentacles between my mask and regulator: I get stung on my upper lip area. This is most likely because the front of my face leads when I swim of course. I have looked everywhere for a non-bibed hood with a face guard. Hoods that cover the entire face and only have a hole cut for the mouth and mask. This is what they look like:

WP-H1ICE_LG.jpg
H1 ICE HOOD | Waterproof Facing Reality
This is the only one I could find but this one, made by waterproof, is an ice hood which is a "one-size-fits-all" piece that is put over your regular hood. I think this might make me too warm in the tank since the water is quite tropical per say. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

If you're talking warm water, why not wear a silk balaclava?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for your help I'll definitely look into that. I still don't understand why they don't readily make some dive hoods, like a hood used in polar dives with dry suits, with a face cover. Wouldn't your lips freeze off?

I never knew that... interesting. I also suppose any dive with a full face mask will stay warm. Thanks for your help guys!

buy a lycra hood, cut holes in it where you want and wear it backwards under another hood? $15 and 5 minutes..

Some cold water Regs have a silicon lip guard/shield.

You can put them on any reg. they just slip over the mouth piece.

Yes, I have one for my US Divers on a comfo-bite mouthpiece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom