DIVE COMPUTER RECOMMENDATION

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ratio Dive Computers

They got it all in all price ranges. You can buy the lower model of either type of computer based on your current needs now and then upgrade it later by paying a licensing fees to open up the more advanced/technical features when you need it!!

Hi @Natedive

The Oceanic Atom 3.1 is a good computer, but has been discontinued. It may still be available, I don't know, but it is still supported by Oceanic/Huish. I've had a good experience with Oceanic/Huish service since the acquisition. I've dived a Geo 2 for 6 1/2 years as a backup, great computer, flawless. It's very similar to the Atom but is not AI

The Oceanic OCi seems to fit all your requirements except for the descent rate. I believe it may be a little smaller and more watch-like than the Atom 3.1. You may want to check it out
upload_2017-12-21_16-2-32.png

Good luck in your computer purchase. There are many threads discussing the choice of a decompression algorithm, you might want learn some about this topic before your investment.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-21_16-2-8.png
    upload_2017-12-21_16-2-8.png
    95 KB · Views: 65
Ratio Dive Computers

They got it all in all price ranges. You can buy the lower model of either type of computer based on your current needs now and then upgrade it later by paying a licensing fees to open up the more advanced/technical features when you need it!!

They are superior to anything (including the Perdix) under the technical aspect and the features... but it looks like they lack of reliability (at least if compared with the Shearwater products). I've heard horror stories about its software on my local forum and that disappointed me a little.

I would love to try one myself if I'll have the opportunity ..but at the moment I can't justify the expense of another hi-end computer after having a Perdix AI already. I must convince my GF/buddy.

They are superior to anything (including the Perdix) under the technical aspect and the features... but it looks like they lack of reliability (at least if compared with the Shearwater products). I've heard horror stories about its software on my local forum and that disappointed me a little.

I would love to try one myself if I'll have the opportunity ..but at the moment I can't justify the expense of another hi-end computer after having a Perdix AI already. I must convince my GF/buddy.

I own one, iX3M [Gps] Tech+, and no issues with it at all so far. Easy to navigate the menu, lots of features. Big numbers and labels in the screen (easy to read), very customizable, etc. I still haven't dove it enough to make a detailed report, but so far after 20 or so dives, I love it!! (I have been a die hard Suunto fan so far but this is a class by itself).

Where and what have you heard about please? (give me links please).

Ratio Dive Computers

That's is what I have been thinking too. Buy a basic one and use rest of the money to get more dives and trainings. but I am also thinking to get a 'better one' so that I won't have to adjust a different one all over again.

Hi @Natedive

The Oceanic Atom 3.1 is a good computer, but has been discontinued. It may still be available, I don't know, but it is still supported by Oceanic/Huish. I've had a good experience with Oceanic/Huish service since the acquisition. I've dived a Geo 2 for 6 1/2 years as a backup, great computer, flawless. It's very similar to the Atom but is not AI

The Oceanic OCi seems to fit all your requirements except for the descent rate. I believe it may be a little smaller and more watch-like than the Atom 3.1. You may want to check it out
View attachment 439441

Good luck in your computer purchase. There are many threads discussing the choice of a decompression algorithm, you might want learn some about this topic before your investment.
Thank you! I will look into details of this one

Buy a simple , second hand, nitrox/air dive computor for less than 150$ that will serve you for years on recreational dives.

When you have learned to dive, understand computor and want to go to more sophosticated dives - deco/tek - then buy another one for 10+ years.

When it comes to rate of descent, your hears are the best way to know how you are doing :grouphug2:

AI, the more you will advance into diving, the more you will realise that it is not really useful :yeahbaby:
You have a really good point on the descent! I am going to get my advanced open water and hopefully rescue in march.
Can you explain more about why you think AI will not be helpful for advanced divers? Thank you.

I wouldn’t put such high priority on having a descent rate on your computer. If anything, the ascent rate is more important for safety. You should be able to tell how quickly you are descending based on your own movement through water and how your ears feel. Equalize early and often. If you are dropping to the bottom like a rock and way too quickly, you are likely overweighted.

As for which option, I have heard Oceanic’s inventory and customer support has been questionable since their acquisition by a larger company. I don’t know if this has changed. Anyone know?

Garmin is still very new to the industry and product category. They are known for quality topside products but I am a little hesitant on a first generation product in a new environment for them.

My vote is for Suunto. Though a bit more conservative, it’s very intuitive to use and you will likely run into many others including DMs using them so troubleshooting and help will be plentiful. It fits the bill outside of the descent rate. The digital compass isn’t that great and I still prefer an analog compass but it’s good in a pinch. The Perdix compass though...amazing. :)
I have exactly the same thoughts about Garmin's first dive watch, but when you purchase a dive computer for about $1000, you definitely want to wear it daily. Garmin draw my attention immediately when I found out that I can wear it daily ( can work as a smart watch too)

@npole, you are right, the op wanted all these features...............which for me demonstrates that he should wait and get more experience so that he can make a better list of the features that he really wants to have. :cheers:

When you buy a $700-1000 dive computer, it better fulfill both your needs and other desires. lol

That's is what I have been thinking too. Buy a basic one and use rest of the money to get more dives and trainings. but I am also thinking to get a 'better one' so that I won't have to adjust a different one all over again.

I meant buy one of Ratio computers that are "basic" and you can upgrade the same computer by paying some licensing $$ to "open" the more advanced features on the same computer when you are ready/need these features. No need to buy a new computer when you need the features in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom