DIVE COMPUTER RECOMMENDATION

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natedive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello folks,
New diver here who wants to find his very first dive computer. I did my research, but still cannot decided. Please help me to narrow down one. I do wish my dive computer has features below:
1. multiple air mode
2. 100-150meters depth
3. digital compass
4. wet activation
5. safety stop (sound or vabriation)
6. bright screen
7. ascent and descent rate (especially descent rate, helps me to control my descent speed so that I won't have ear pain. Even though I tried my best to equalize, it still hurts if I descent too fast)
8. AI ( is it really important)
9. round watch size
10. easy to operate
I have few candidate: Oceanic Atom 3.1( I see a lot of divers recommending this one on here), Suunto D6i Novo Stealth (this one does not have descent rate), and Garmin MK1 ( I really like this one, all the features I need are in this computer and I can also wear this one daily as a smart watch, HOWEVER this one does not support AI). I know, I cannot get a computer that has all my desires, but I do need your opinions.
Personally I'd prefer an advanced one at the very beginning rather than upgrade (please tell me if I am wrong)
Thank you so much!!!!!

Buy a simple , second hand, nitrox/air dive computor for less than 150$ that will serve you for years on recreational dives.

When you have learned to dive, understand computor and want to go to more sophosticated dives - deco/tek - then buy another one for 10+ years.

When it comes to rate of descent, your hears are the best way to know how you are doing :grouphug2:

AI, the more you will advance into diving, the more you will realise that it is not really useful :yeahbaby:

I wouldn’t put such high priority on having a descent rate on your computer. If anything, the ascent rate is more important for safety. You should be able to tell how quickly you are descending based on your own movement through water and how your ears feel. Equalize early and often. If you are dropping to the bottom like a rock and way too quickly, you are likely overweighted.

As for which option, I have heard Oceanic’s inventory and customer support has been questionable since their acquisition by a larger company. I don’t know if this has changed. Anyone know?

Garmin is still very new to the industry and product category. They are known for quality topside products but I am a little hesitant on a first generation product in a new environment for them.

My vote is for Suunto. Though a bit more conservative, it’s very intuitive to use and you will likely run into many others including DMs using them so troubleshooting and help will be plentiful. It fits the bill outside of the descent rate. The digital compass isn’t that great and I still prefer an analog compass but it’s good in a pinch. The Perdix compass though...amazing. :)

It's the "round watch size" feature that would limit your choice, otherwise I would have said Perdix AI (there's really nothing else that comes near to it.. especially about the reliability).

So.. watch type, there's the Suunto D4i NEW, Suunto D6i NEW, Suunto DX, Scubapro Mantis "M2".

If I was you, I would reconsider the size... said by one who get used to use watch type computers (including the Mantis M2) and never looked back when I switched to the Perdix AI.

Suunto Vyper Air, that's what I started with and meets pretty much all of your requirements. When I went the tech route and got a Perdix (and then CCR with a petrel) I still use the vyper for Gauge or when I go on holiday and single cylinder dive.

As others have said, buy cheaper for now and enjoy, and I'm not sure why you are worrying about 100-150m depth at this stage!

+ 1 with Topper :thumb:

While I agree that the Perdrix is a wonderful dive computor, I do not believe that with its price tag over 1000 $, it is a good recommendation for a beginner.

When you are going to dive in the tek area, you will need a backup. So to buy one that is very simple and satisfies 99% of your present needs is perfectly fine.

The OP have asked for specific features, you may suggest to him to change his mind (and I would agree), but suggesting computers that wouldn't suit what he originally asked is like answering with black when he's looking for white.

The Suunto Vyper (without considering that isn't exactly a "round watch size" computer), doesn't have the AI (it's listed as "very important" for the OP).

He said Vyper Air that has AI - still not being a watch size computer

@npole, you are right, the op wanted all these features...............which for me demonstrates that he should wait and get more experience so that he can make a better list of the features that he really wants to have. :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom