Dive Computer Opinions integrated or no

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone who's dived with only computers or only AI computers are noobs :rofl3:

Great input - thanks all for your responses. I’ve purchased a Petrel 2 as my first DC. A bit of an add-on to this - I’m still fairly new to diving and learning a lot everyday - it seems like many dive ops require you to carry a DC.
Nothing at all wrong with the Petrel 2. Great computer. Doesn’t have AI, but pretty much has everything else. The SWs seem to hold their value well, so down the road, if you want to move into AI, you can sell that and get a Perdix AI or Teric, or whatever else is in the lineup. Or, just keep the Petrel as a backup.
All of my dives, with rented or provided gear, have included the big 3-piece: pressure gauge, depth gauge and compass. Does that typically suffice? Is it always provided with rental gear? Anywhere inputs on where it is NOT?
It really depends. Some shops will also offer a puck style computer in lieu of the depth gauge. A 3 gauge console, without computer, will suffice depending on the op you are diving with. If they require a computer, that won’t suffice, but you have your computer now, so no need to worry about that.

I was late to the hoseless AI bandwagon but I've become a fan. I bought a Perdix AI 4 years ago and it has been rock solid. I've never lost a connection. I still dive with a backup SPG but have found today's hoseless AI to be incredibly reliable.

I have both, when I started, I wanted a computer that would monitor the time left in my tank based on my SAC, not just to monitor the pressure. But what happens if that Digital display of tank pressure fails, then you have nothing, so I was told I should have a back up pressure gauge, and I totally agree.

Then I went on for my Sidemount class and now no integrated computer, so have a Shearwater and LOVE it, and I'm no longer missing my computer that told me how many minutes I have left in the tank.

My first several AI computers were various models of the Oceanic ProPlus series of hosed dive computers. (Yes, I had them clipped onto my BCD, they were not dangling on the reef.) On one trip, I "upgraded" to what was then one of Oceanic's first AI wrist DCs with a transmitter. I found it horribly frustrating since more often that not, when I looked at it, instead of giving me the info I wanted, the screen said something to the effect of "Signal not found. Searching...".

After that one trip, I wrote off hoseless AI dive computers and went back to a ProPlus 2. Recently, I decided to give hoseless DCs another chance and bought a Perdix AI as my main computer and a Teric as my backup. I am hoping that hoseless technology has improved significantly since the last time I gave it a try.

Now, I just need a trip to warm water to try out my new stuff.

There is NO winner it is entirely based on personal preference.
AI? No chance and I do not have to give any reason for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom