Dive Computer Opinions integrated or no

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverNick226

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What are your thoughts on integrated computers vs “hoseless” (either transmitter-based or watch-style)? I’m looking at one integrated Atomic Aquatics Cobalt computer and would love specific feedback on that but I’m curious as to your general thoughts as well.

What are your thoughts on integrated computers vs “hoseless” (either transmitter-based or watch-style)? I’m looking at one integrated Atomic Aquatics Cobalt computer and would love specific feedback on that but I’m curious as to your general thoughts as well.
Buy a shearwater perdix AI. Even if you don’t use the AI function it will have a higher resale value if you ever sell.

Atomic Aquatics Cobalt computer

Forget about it, I don't even think that it is still in Atomics product line. I believe that it was phased out a while back.

In regards to "hosed" or "hoseless," I would go for a "hoseless" dive computer.

There are several brands and models and Shearwater is only one of them and isn't the only choice. Ocean has good choices so does Scubapro and Ratio Computers.

AI:

If you want it, and willing to pay the price then yes
if you don't want it or aren't willing to pay for it then no...

As to brand..... there are a couple....

I'm not gonna lie, air integrated is awesome… You can really geek out on the statistics that the shearwater keeps, it's insane.

but I also bought an inexpensive analog mini gauge as my backup.

I have become an AI fan over the last few years. I have a couple of cobalts listed for sale on here.

Whether or not you get an air-integrated version, put your computer on your right wrist, not dangling in a bulky console. It's obviously hard to beat a Shearwater, the displays are gorgeous.

An air integrated dive computer means one gauge to look at, not two (e.g.: depth, dive time, NDL, amount of breathing gas remaining). One that logs your dives for download to your computer (or smart phone in some cases, I imagine) back home can log your start and end air pressures, calculate your SAC, and thus give you a more full-featured dive log.

Yes, it costs more money. So far, I've chosen to pay it, and I'm glad I did.

I like my Cobalt 2; the compass function is way better than Cobalt 1. That said, if it's been out of production awhile, I'd be concerned it's dated and unless I got a very good price on a used one, I'd probably get a Shearwater Perdix AI or Teric instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom