Dive Computer Opinions integrated or no

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An air integrated dive computer means one gauge to look at, not two (e.g.: depth, dive time, NDL, amount of breathing gas remaining). One that logs your dives for download to your computer (or smart phone in some cases, I imagine) back home can log your start and end air pressures, calculate your SAC, and thus give you a more full-featured dive log.
One more thing to go wrong and interfere with my diving.

I never loook at my dive logs. Memories interest me not data.

To each their own... dive and let dive.

I don’t pour over most of mine, but if I had to fin more vigorously to fight current on one dive, comparing that dive SAC to other dives without current offers an objective look at how much my gas use suffered.
Exactly why I prefer AI. The graph plot is also good as a visual biofeedback mechanism even if belated after the dive.

What are your thoughts on integrated computers vs “hoseless” (either transmitter-based or watch-style)? I’m looking at one integrated Atomic Aquatics Cobalt computer and would love specific feedback on that but I’m curious as to your general thoughts as well.
We are the original designer/ developers of the Cobalt electronics and user interface/ firmware, and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the product. It has been discontinued by Huish Outdoors- it would have required a redesign due to some components that are no longer available, and Huish decided to get out of the computer manufacturing business in favor of distributing products like Suunto and Oceanic.

We are developing a successor product, smaller and with increased features (Buhlmann as well as RGBM, bluetooth, etc.), that is specifically designed to give Cobalt owners a path to "up-cycle" their computer. That could make a used Cobalt a potential good deal. We have a ScubaBoard page here: Ocean Concepts

Console vs. wrist mount is a personal preference issue, with most preferring a wrist mount if they can afford a hoseless computer. In the past I've done a lot of diving where my hands were working and anything on the wrist was going to get trashed, so back then I preferred a console. I agree with the post above from rongoodman in that one of the best Cobalt mounting scheme I've see was a diver who strapped it to the inside of his wrist- in that case it was the left. Don't worry about hoseless transmission for wrist units, current systems work very well.

We have nothing but good to say about Shearwater, the company, the products, and the people.

Ron

I think it is like having a missing leg, if you were born without the leg
you only miss it when you see others with one so take up solo diving

I could not care less about statistics and the bells and whistles aspect of dive computers (who the f**k cares?); and I regularly see a good number of people, even under the greatest conditions, constantly fiddling with screen options and settings, rather than actively diving.

I have AI and non-AI computers, have had them for decades -- but will not dive without an SPG and watch; have seen serial failures of electronics, over the years, both mine and that of others; and far too much faith is placed upon them.

Hoseless? Absolutely not . . .

What are your thoughts on integrated computers vs “hoseless” (either transmitter-based or watch-style)? I’m looking at one integrated Atomic Aquatics Cobalt computer and would love specific feedback on that but I’m curious as to your general thoughts as well.
I’ve only ever used Air Integrated computers. I dove for years without a computer. Then decided to finally get a computer.

First computer was an Oceanic Pro Plus 2. Nice big screen, and a bit less bulky compared to my old 3 gauge console. My computer did not have the compass module, which is probably the main difference in bulk.

When that computer died, I decided to go with a hose less AI computer. First an Oceanic VT4.1, and now a Perdix AI. My daughter still uses the VT.

AI, horseless or otherwise, gives you all the info you need in one place. With a console, you sometimes need to feel for where it is. Usually not too far, but I always know exactly where my wrist is. Haven’t had any connection issues with the horseless computers.

I’ve only ever used Air Integrated computers. I dove for years without a computer. Then decided to finally get a computer.

First computer was an Oceanic Pro Plus 2. Nice big screen, and a bit less bulky compared to my old 3 gauge console. My computer did not have the compass module, which is probably the main difference in bulk.

When that computer died, I decided to go with a hose less AI computer. First an Oceanic VT4.1, and now a Perdix AI. My daughter still uses the VT.

AI, horseless or otherwise, gives you all the info you need in one place. With a console, you sometimes need to feel for where it is. Usually not too far, but I always know exactly where my wrist is. Haven’t had any connection issues with the horseless computers.
Same with me, Oceanic Pro Plus 2 2002-10 and now, still diving an Oceanic VT3 (1686 dives, 1770 hours). I have dived a few backups, Cochran EMC-14, Oceanic Geo 2, Dive Rite Nitek Q. My "backup" for the last 2 1/2 years has been a Shearwater Teric, running off the same transmitter as the VT3. I have dived a backup SPG since 2010.

I have used a backup computer on 2 dives, my fault, dead battery. I have used the backup SPG on 12 dives, my fault on 6.

Great input - thanks all for your responses. I’ve purchased a Petrel 2 as my first DC. A bit of an add-on to this - I’m still fairly new to diving and learning a lot everyday - it seems like many dive ops require you to carry a DC. All of my dives, with rented or provided gear, have included the big 3-piece: pressure gauge, depth gauge and compass. Does that typically suffice? Is it always provided with rental gear? Anywhere inputs on where it is NOT?
Again, thanks! I’m so glad to have found this board.

Back
Top Bottom