Dive computer battery and o-ring spec's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks GJC and Couv,
yeah, haha.
I see the different are "E70 EPDM FDA" and "B70 (NBR) Buna-N Nitrile". I have no idea what those mean. Do you know which is better?
Thanks again.

Also, I have question on silicon lube. I do have white silicone grease at home, using on cars and others things around the house. I know that there are many different kinds of silicone lube/grease out there, some are good and some are not for rubber. Also we need silicone lube when servicing regulators too. On regulators, the devices we are all breathing from; therefore, I want to be careful on this? May I ask what kind of silicone lube everyone is using?
Again, thank you very much.

Thanks GJC and Couv,
yeah, haha.
I see the different are "E70 EPDM FDA" and "B70 (NBR) Buna-N Nitrile". I have no idea what those mean. Do you know which is better?
Thanks again.

Also, I have question on silicon lube. I do have white silicone grease at home, using on cars and others things around the house. I know that there are many different kinds of silicone lube/grease out there, some are good and some are not for rubber. Also we need silicone lube when servicing regulators too. On regulators, the devices we are all breathing from; therefore, I want to be careful on this? May I ask what kind of silicone lube everyone is using?
Again, thank you very much.

From my brief research, the 70 is the durometer and E or B is the material. In the case of B70 it is Buna Nitrile (NBR also denotes this).

I asked this question about lube recently and someone suggested I get Christolube MCG111 and that would be good for all o-rings regardless of material.

Thanks outofofficebrb,
How about inhaling it? Anyone ever researched or talked about this topic? Sorry I am too new to this game and have not read enough.
Thanks.

a quick search and found a safety sheet. I'll search more but at least feel better. One thing though: "This chemical is not considered hazardous ...." then another portion say "May be harmful if swallowed. May be harmful in contact with skin"

One of the reasons I use EPDM or Viton is that they have a very long shelf life. Notice the O-ring store has a minimum order of 12 for the -026 seal. So even at one a year, in a dozen years from now, you'll may still have some of the same seals. Most sources list the shelf life of EPDM and Viton as indefinite where Buna/Nitile is not.

Most of us use a PTFE grease (Teflon based) like Christolube, Tribolube, Krytox etc because that's what regulator manufactures recommend. BUT there is nothing wrong with a quality silicone grease (except on silicone o-rings) like Dow Corning 111 for seals used in a regulator where the richest oxygen mix will be 40% or less. In fact, silicone grease is more tenacious than PTFE and will provide better/longer anti-corrosive protection than PTFE. PTFE does get the nod for being superior when it comes to anti-friction though.

One of the reasons I use EPDM or Viton is that they have a very long shelf life. Notice the O-ring store has a minimum order of 12 for the -026 seal. So even at one a year, in a dozen years from now, you'll may still have some of the same seals. Most sources list the shelf life of EPDM and Viton as indefinite where Buna/Nitile is not.

Most of us use a PTFE grease (Teflon based) like Christolube, Tribolube, Krytox etc because that's what regulator manufactures recommend. BUT there is nothing wrong with a quality silicone grease (except on silicone o-rings) like Dow Corning 111 for seals used in a regulator where the richest oxygen mix will be 40% or less. In fact, silicone grease is more tenacious than PTFE and will provide better/longer anti-corrosive protection than PTFE. PTFE does get the nod for being superior when it comes to anti-friction though.

What’s the shelf life on Buna/nitrile? Great info. Thanks.

What’s the shelf life on Buna/nitrile?

15 years according to some sources O-Ring Shelf Life | Global O-Ring and Seal

15 years is a long time-unless 10 or 12 have already passed on the shelf of a vendor.

In a former life where we had inspectors who wrote us up for such things; I saw my work place get written up a few times for expired shelf life items including o-rings.

ok, conclusion, battery for Oceanic VT4: CR2450

For o-ring material, E70 EPDM FDA is better. Get this o-ring for Oceanic VT4
AS568-026 E70 EPDM FDA O-Ring 70 Duro Black [E70026] : The O-Ring Store LLC, We make getting O-Rings easy!

For lubricant, get PTFE grease (Teflon based) like Christolube, Tribolube, Krytox. Silicone grease is not good for silicone rubber.
GENUINE CHRISTO-LUBE MCG-111 OXYGEN ORING LUBE 5g SQUEEZE TUBE MFG PACKAGING 708325510203 | eBay

Thanks much to Couv, OutOfOfficebrb, GJC, and everyone

Thanks outofofficebrb,
How about inhaling it? Anyone ever researched or talked about this topic? Sorry I am too new to this game and have not read enough.
Thanks.

Your post gave me a bit of a chuckle, as I read it late and without having refreshed my memory by reading the posts that went before it.

Back
Top Bottom